Should I take on this tortoise

Dawn the decorator

Location (City and/or State)
Dorset
I’m a tortoise owner for 46 years and ive been asked if I would take this little guy on....I’ve just received this picture and at first glance I can see obvious problems... my heart say take him and fix him. im worried about underlying health problems..looking for kind helpful thoughts please

Attachments

• 6C98243C-F587-4D51-8159-0EB9F8F01B1B.png
    6C98243C-F587-4D51-8159-0EB9F8F01B1B.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 42

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
His beak needs trimming badly, and he has some pyramiding. From this pic, there's no way to know if he has MBD, unless his current keeper has told you of problems walking.

To me, I don't think he's that bad off...I'd adopt him if I wanted another tort. And was on the same continent. :D

Dawn the decorator

Dorset
His beak needs trimming badly, and he has some pyramiding. From this pic, there's no way to know if he has MBD, unless his current keeper has told you of problems walking.

To me, I don't think he's that bad off...I'd adopt him if I wanted another tort. And was on the same continent. :D
Thanks, I think current owner got him from a college, he’s 8...Im talking through a family member of theirs who I have worked for...I shall hopefully be able to talk directly later...I’ve got to help him??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, not much wrong by the pic. Beak trimming needed.
The pyramiding is not going to change. Not sure there is really any real help needed unless its not showing in the pic.
A home is needed so why not take him.

Jen H

19543, Morgantown, PA
Thanks, I think current owner got him from a college, he’s 8...Im talking through a family member of theirs who I have worked for...I shall hopefully be able to talk directly later...I’ve got to help him??
Best of luck! Glad someone reached out to you to find a home that will provide the needed care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Go for it! Just be sure to use a vet who has tortoise experience. Get the beak trimmed and everything else should fall into place when you set him up properly and start giving him the correct diet.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
He looks like he could be a Greek or Russian but not 100% sure.
This is the caresheet for the most common species available in the UK that may help you give him the right diet ad conditions:

He looks like he needs some TLC and I think you'd give him a lovely home.
Let us know what happens.