Should I Turn off my MVB when its too hot outside?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
It has been incredibly hot in London lately and the room temperature inside the house is between 28-32 C. I currently have 75 watt MVB and I noticed that the temperature on the hot side goes up too 45 C. My little hermans has been constantly burying and sleeping through out the day is this because its too hot? Should I turn off the MVB and perhaps buy a UVB tube to be on when its hot outside?

This is what I was thinking of buying. Does wattage make a difference?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4BBJFVE8MW50JJYR7KPC

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The heat or UVB should be turned off when it gets too hot in the enclosure, not when it's too hot outside. You can also raise the bulbs height or get the tube flourescent bulb and fixture.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
The heat or UVB should be turned off when it gets too hot in the enclosure, not when it's too hot outside. You can also raise the bulbs height or get the tube flourescent bulb and fixture.
What I meant was when it gets hot outside the indoor temperatures go up which of course affect the temperature of the enclosure. I'm just worried of him getting heatstroke. I will purchase the uvb tube and leave that on when the temperatures exceed 40 C. I figured that if its too hot I'd turn off the MVB but still keep a source of UVB with the tube.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't turn off the "sun". Simply raise the bulb until the basking temperature under it is correct. Even if the room temp is 28-32, your tortoise still needs a ray of "sunshine" to warm up in. Ideal basking temp is around 36-37 directly under your bulb at tortoise carapace height.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
if you can't raise the MVB, then you should get a che and a thermostat to run it along with the fluorescent. Set the stat at the 36-37 Tom talked about. The stat will turn the che off if it gets hotter then the set temp. This way your tort will still have a heat source to warm up Under for proper digestion.
Also how big is the enclosure? If it's too small, this then it's harder to get the correct range of temps.
Post a pic of the enclosure so we can better help you. It's easier when we know what you are working with.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
if you can't raise the MVB, then you should get a che and a thermostat to run it along with the fluorescent. Set the stat at the 36-37 Tom talked about. The stat will turn the che off if it gets hotter then the set temp. This way your tort will still have a heat source to warm up Under for proper digestion.
Also how big is the enclosure? If it's too small, this then it's harder to get the correct range of temps.
Post a pic of the enclosure so we can better help you. It's easier when we know what you are working with.
http://imgur.com/a/s3Tsd my enclosure is 120x58 cm

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are losing most of your heat and humidity out of the enclosure unless you have it covered and took the cover off for the pic. There's almost no way it can get too hot at tort level in the whole enclosure without it being covered.
Which, by the way, if it's not covered, it needs to be, as your humidity will never be what it needs to be.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
You are losing most of your heat and humidity out of the enclosure unless you have it covered and took the cover off for the pic. There's almost no way it can get too hot at tort level in the whole enclosure without it being covered.
Which, by the way, if it's not covered, it needs to be, as your humidity will never be what it needs to be.
I've been looking for a material to cover the enclosure. IDK what would work tho any ideas? When I got my tortoise they gave me a wooden tortoise table. A lot of people in the tortoise trust say that rabbit or guinea pig cages are adequate for tortoises hence why I went for this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've been looking for a material to cover the enclosure. IDK what would work tho any ideas? When I got my tortoise they gave me a wooden tortoise table. A lot of people in the tortoise trust say that rabbit or guinea pig cages are adequate for tortoises hence why I went for this.
Then you should not be listening to the people in the tortoise trust. A table isn't ideal, but are better then a rabbit cage.
But, to cover the cage, use plastic, tin foil, shower curtain liner.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
For the short term, just use Saran wrap or similar. It will help a lot with temps and humidity.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is a problem when the weather is very hot. Here in the south of England we have had outside temperatures of 34C and few of us have air conditioning. My home was 29C indoors yesterday and today it's 10 degrees cooler outside, but my house is still 25C.

It is a very good reason to use tube UVB in this very hot weather... or better still (assuming your tort isn't a tiny baby) get your tort outside.

Fortunately these hot spells rarely last long in the UK. The 7 continuous days of these temperatures we have just had is the longest hot spell since the fortnight we managed back in 1976. It kind of puts British weather into context for those of you in hotter climates where temperatures in the 90s F/ 30s C or more go on for weeks or months every year.

Today the weather has broken and it is much cooler and will continue cooler for at least the next week bringing relief to humans and torts alike.

It is very important to soak your tort - in the hottest weather, I recommend twice daily for at least 30 minutes each time