Should I turn off the heat lamp and the UVB lamp during the day?

starfirepower

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
My tortoise’s enclosure is right by the window and she gets direct sunlight throughout the day.

Should I turn off the heat lamp and UVB lamp during the day? She also has another heat lamp that doesn’t have the light, just the heat. I’m thinking of leaving that on and turning off the other one plus the UVB light.

Also, is the enclosure big enough? It’s 50x40. I feel like it might be getting a little small but I just need to know. I have added a picture of the enclosure and my tortoise.

Let me know what you think. Thank you guys.

Attachments

• BA664F32-5E31-406B-85A1-79313FF3AECB.jpeg
    BA664F32-5E31-406B-85A1-79313FF3AECB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • AB4B8AE1-7193-46E8-BED4-0A4749E2F5FC.jpeg
    AB4B8AE1-7193-46E8-BED4-0A4749E2F5FC.jpeg
    844.7 KB · Views: 27

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Depends on the temperature - you should have the heat on a thermostat so its always right where you want it to be. That way if it warms up in the day due to the direct sun, the heater will shut off. Remember also- if that sunlight is passing through a window, glass blocks the UVB so your UVB bulb will still be needed.

All of that being said - it seems like its far too dry in the enclosure. I see your coco coir - which looks dry. I also see what I think is a young sulcata digging in. That substrate should be moist all the time.

You really need a closed chamber as you will never get the heat (around 90 during the day and 80 at night) and humidity (always above 85%) correct with an open top unless your entire room is heated and humidified.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes your enclosure is on the small side and looks dry.
I don't see any water or food dishes.
Torts should have access to fresh water and food at all times....they are grazers and like to eat then go back later.
Terracotta plant saucers sunk level with the substrate are the cheapest and safest option.
Open tables are difficult to maintain heat and humidity so large vivs are usually recommended for babies.

Please read the caresheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/
and ask as many questions as you like.

The window will filter out the uvb from the sun and even if the room temp is warm your tort will still probably need a basking area which reaches the temps as detailed in the caresheet.

You will need good digital thermometer/hygrometer to keep an eye on your temps and a digital temp gun is ideal for spot checking temps in different areas of the enclosure.

The clamps you are using for your lamps have been known to fail and cause fires and injure torts so it is better to hang them. You can then adjust the temps by raising or lowering the lamps.
What lamps are you using?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually would be best to get it away from the window so you can control how hot it gets. It will not get uvb thru a window. If you actually can't move it then yes turn the heat off but leave on a tube florescent uvb.