Should I wake her up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I always have to wake up my russian tortoise. And once she is awake she eats, basks a little, or goes straight to bed. I changed up the enclosure to make her active, but she doesn't know it yet because she is still sleeping. Should I just out-wait her? Or wake her up every day and keep the cycle going?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is there enough light in her enclosure? Also, be sure temps and humidity are correct. Yes, I would wake her up if it were me. My Russian is very active and he doesn't have the most lite enclosure. It's only for night time, but as soon as he hears me in the am, he's coming out of his hide for food and to go to his outdoor enclosure. Does she have a big enough enclosure?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
wellington said:
Is there enough light in her enclosure? Also, be sure temps and humidity are correct. Yes, I would wake her up if it were me. My Russian is very active and he doesn't have the most lite enclosure. It's only for night time, but as soon as he hears me in the am, he's coming out of his hide for food and to go to his outdoor enclosure. Does she have a big enough enclosure?

Unfortunately her enclosure is only 4'x2' with a 1'x2' second floor. Am I always going to have to wake her up? She has been doing this later and later and now she's to the point of sleeping all day. I let her be for two days straight and caved and woke her up. But she ate then went to sleep again. I don't get it.

I just woke her up... I know they are supposed to be active, and the only time I see her active is outside in the grass. Never inside. If she were to live in an outdoor enclosure would she still be like this? Am I going to end up having to wake her up all of the time in the winter and colder months?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My female boxie does the same thing!! I always wake her up.....she is a sleepy head!!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
jerm42991 said:
What are the temps and humidity?

Her basking temperature is usually anywhere between 90-100 F. The cool end is usually low 80's and high 70's. It cools down usually to the 70's. Her humidity is around 60% because it's so humid here.

Status
Not open for further replies.