Should I wake my tortoise?

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
Hello, I have only had my tortoise 4 days and getting into a routine. Every morning I have to dig him out to wake him for a warm soak and to eat. I haven’t seen him unborrow by himself at all. Should I just leave him alone and wait to soak and feed until he gets up on his own? I tried waiting a few extra hours today to see if he would come out on his own but he didn’t.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I have only had my tortoise 4 days and getting into a routine. Every morning I have to dig him out to wake him for a warm soak and to eat. I haven’t seen him unborrow by himself at all. Should I just leave him alone and wait to soak and feed until he gets up on his own? I tried waiting a few extra hours today to see if he would come out on his own but he didn’t.
Get him up and re-evaluate your temperatures and lighting. You probably need more heat and light.

Reactions: Ink

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Get him up and re-evaluate your temperatures and lighting. You probably need more heat and light.
Thank you! I will continue to wake him in the mornings if he isn’t out on his own. I may need additional lighting if it’s not bright enough, right now I just have the 65 watt incandescent and the uvb tube bulb providing light. The temperature ranges from 75-85 depending on where in the enclosure he is and the basking rock is 95. Do you think I need to change those temps as well?

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
What species?
Any night heat? What is the overnight low?
More ambient lighting would be a good idea.
3 month old eastern Hermanns hatchling. I leave a CHE on 24/7 so when basking light goes off at night the temp stays low to mid 70s.