Should I worry about shell rot? (Red foot)

Lexiii

Location (City and/or State)
CT
Ok, this is what kept me awake worrying about last night. I have a layer of organic soil mixed with coco coir topped by orchid bark. Then I put sphagnum moss on top of that. The layer of orchid bark is dry but the stuff under that is damp for humidity.
My little guy sends most of his time buried in his little hidey holes that he's dug under the moss, in the damp substrate. So he is sitting on the damp stuff and not the dry orchid bark. Do I have to worry about his plastron? So far it looks fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes.
I'd use and I do use a top layer of pure potting soil. Over Orchid bark in my case.
Add water in the corners and the substrate underneath stays moist for humidity but the top later remains dry. He will likely still dig down a bit in the sleeping area because they like to sleep damp.
But they must be allowed to dry off.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
As long as you continue to look over your tortoise during daily soaks to catch any shell issues, I wouldn't worry. I've kept my substrate moist since day one to maintain high humidity without problems.

This is just my experience.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Buy some athletes foot cream at the dollar store just in case. I get a shell issue or two every rainy season here and it will quickly clear it up.
Dollar store athletes foot cream and general antibiotic ointment are cheap insurance for a tortoise.
Two bucks well spent.