1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Should my eggs be chalked if I just retrieved them?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by Fizzle, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:34 AM.

1. Fizzle

Fizzle New Member

My female buried her eggs in the yard and I was unable to retrieve them until a few weeks later. I read one of @Tom messages stating that you can leave them in the ground for a long time and then recover them later for incubation. They’ve been in my incubator since last Saturday 08/04/18. I’ve done this before and have been very successful with the process. I have never had to wait a few weeks before recovering the eggs though. My question is, should they already be chalking because they were laid around 3/4 weeks ago now? Or do they start the chalking process after you’ve begun incubation? Thank you for any replies. Appreciate it.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    What species?

In general, yes, they should be chalking after all that time in the ground with summer temps outside.
  3. Fizzle

Fizzle New Member

Tom! You’re awesome, thank you for such a quick response. They are desert tortoises. The eggs are a faint white color like they might be chalking but I just can’t tell... maybe I’m just trying to get my hopes up. It will be probably around 4 weeks this weekend and I’m guessing they should be chalked over by now. Oh well, I’m still going to leave them in there as long as possible. I’m afraid they just might not be fertile.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

I feel I must comment, just in case you, and everyone else reading is unaware - according to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, it is illegal to knowingly breed desert tortoises. It is also illegal to artificial incubate the eggs.

Only reason I mention this is because one of our "Guidelines" is to refrain from discussing any illegal activities.
    ALDABRAMAN likes this.
  5. Fizzle

Fizzle New Member

Thank you Yvonne. I assure you my activities and discussion here are 100% legal.