should parents allow kids and teens to get tortoises?

alex999

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I am 14 and have a (rescued) Russian tortoise. I got him just about a week ago, but did extensive research before hand. He has enough space, enough variety of food, and I am currently treating him for MBD, and he's improved so much health wise over this last week! We also have a plan that once I move out he will live with my aunt until I am able to bring him back into my home. So in my opinion if the teen/child and their family do extensive research and have a plan for when that child moves out and is establishing their adult life, then I would think it's okay.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I am 14 and have a (rescued) Russian tortoise. I got him just about a week ago, but did extensive research before hand. He has enough space, enough variety of food, and I am currently treating him for MBD, and he's improved so much health wise over this last week! We also have a plan that once I move out he will live with my aunt until I am able to bring him back into my home. So in my opinion if the teen/child and their family do extensive research and have a plan for when that child moves out and is establishing their adult life, then I would think it's okay.
Well you are a true exception and not just for kids but adults too! Just read all the !!!!Help!!!! Tbreads. Well done indeed

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
i think they should not unless they do lots of research and are willing to give up space my Russians pen is only 3 feet square and i am not able to build it bigger my parents wont let me and they wont let me give betty to a better home

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
i think they should not unless they do lots of research and are willing to give up space my Russians pen is only 3 feet square and i am not able to build it bigger my parents wont let me and they wont let me give betty to a better home
not your fault, perhaps their fault. No offense, but I wasn't sure after reading Eyes not Normal, but now I see they are less responsible

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
not your fault, perhaps their fault. No offense, but I wasn't sure after reading Eyes not Normal, but now I see they are less responsible
they just dont understand that it needs to be bigger but they just dont understand and think that it is way to big