should parents allow kids and teens to get tortoises?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I believe that if they are prepared to pay for, care for, and provide safe housing conditions for the next 80+ years, then yes. I bleive that, to some degree, it could also be the parents fault for allowing bad care to befall the animal. I also think that a lot of people consider tortoise stupid and throwaway pets, and I think (the reptile community in general) need to to the best possible to inform of the commitment that even just a small lizard could require. If children or teens fail to provide proper care, then it is up to the parents or child to find a safe home where they will be well cared for. There are tortoises and turtles who have died (it;s sad yes, but it continues to happen) and that is the purpose of TFO... to educate people who don't know better and who actually care about the well being of the animal in general.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
I believe that if teens do enough research into the topic of tortoise and are committed then I don't see why not! I got mine at the age of 12 and I'm only 14. However I think on the topic of kids then if the parent is actually the one looking after the tortoise properly then its fine but if not then I don't think so

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
My mom was a florist for 47 years and a gardener still to this day. Some of the best memories I had was getting 2 Ornate Box Turtles when I was 8 years old. Before purchasing the Ornates she told me, "take care of your knowledge and then you can take care of your turtles." I spent weeks at the library after school learning everything I could about Ornate Box Turtles and their care. My mom gave me a mini quiz after those couple weeks and obviously according to her I passed because we purchased 2 juvenile Ornates. When my 7 year old daughter wanted to get a baby boxie, I did the same to her:) Of course I learned more about their individual behaviors as the years went on, but I know I wouldn't of been able to take care of them without my mothers advice.

turtlemanfla88

First I know of adults who should never of been allowed to own animals or children. I am a 70 kid who had his first box turtle when I was five and if I would of never be able to have that chance then I might of never had that experience or moment that got me hooked.
My parents always made me research and read about my pets before i was allowed to have them. I talk to a lot of parents at my kids elementary school about turtles,tortoises, and the chickens,rabbits,and tilipa that the science club raises. I keep some turtles in the science department during the year. I get some of the older teacher telling me about when they had a turtle growing up. My children love all animals ,but I make them learn about the animal first. I also ask them questions. They are smart kids for ten and nine years old we are working on turtle and tortoise latin names now. They want to be vets and go gators even though I went to USF and their mamma went to Michigan State. I bring in live animals to the school and the kids go nuts asking questions and telling me stories. I love it except some of these kids parents tell their kids these animals belong in zoos and aquariums not in their homes.

Alaskamike

South Florida
This is an interesting discussion since it covers so many of the issues of responsible animal care, as well as how / when / we have the opportunity to pass on to our children the love of animals and the responsibility to provide them the best possible environment we can.
Personally, my Mother taught me from a very early age the union with nature. We started with a 5 gal guppy fish tank. I still remember the fascination with the little babies and the mass of live plants, O2 bubbles, and how heartbroken I was when an adult guppy would eat a baby who strayed out too far from cover.. She used this to show how some survived (in the cover of the weeds) and some did not and this is how nature proceeds. It is not cruel, it is the law of the wild.
I had so many different animals when young I can’t remember many of them. Most where a rescue from the wild, found as abandoned babies, hurt, lost. A baby raccoon, several broken wing birds, snakes, turtles, a box tortoise, hamsters, pet rats…. And of course the numerous stray cats and dogs that got dropped off on our road. I learned to nurse babies and hurt animals back to health and either re-home them or set them free in nature again. I remember the tears when “Rikki” my raccoon was finally big enough to be let go in the national forest and how my Mom held my hand all the while telling me what a great life he would have and that someday he would start a family of his own.
The problem with children of any age and pets of any kind boils down to knowledge, respect for the animal, and parents holding their children accountable. If parents cannot, or will not do this they should not allow an animal to be the primary responsibility of a child. Period. I see this with dogs, cats, birds, fish, you name it… In fact even many adults should not own animals at all.
One of my favorite books as a child was “The Yearling” by Marjory Rawlings. If you’ve read it you know why.
I seemed to always have an empathic relationship with animals, but it was probably taught very young. I remember coming home from school one day and my entire hamster set up was gone. Re-homed by my mother after several warning about keeping fresh water in there and cleaning out the cage. Sometimes – often - it takes ‘tough love’ to communicate the message. Unfortunately, many parents are not able to bring themselves to do this. I never neglected an animal again. I believe children learn great lessons from nature, and can learn at very young ages, however, it all comes down to teaching, follow-up, accountability, and caring enough to put in the supervision and work. If you know you will and can do this – great. If not don’t do it.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
My thoughts on this topic is it depends on the age of the child. The reason behind this thinking is my newest tortoise that I adopted was dropped off at the pet store cause the child couldn't properly take care of it and the mother was tired of looking after it. When I have children I will never deny them a pet cause it teaches them a lot of values but I believe the parent has to willing. I have had my share of animals over the years of growing up and I still do.

phebe121

I think so my daughter and step son said they will take mine when i die and my daughter is 7 and loves them to death she even cleans there cage and give them baths and hugs them responsibility is good for them

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I don't really think kids should have pet tortoises, well I'm 15 and when I was 5 years old and my brother was 7 we got a Russian tortoise. We didn't know what we where doing my parents didn't do any reasurch before getting the tortoise. She lived in a small tank till I was 10 years old. For school we had to pick an animal to do a project on so i picked the Russian tortoise and thats how i found out we where providing terrible care for her. Now for the past 5 years she lives in a 4 by 8 outside home with lots of places to hide, grasses, succulents and weeds to munch and all head rubs she can get.

turtlemanfla88

I do not blame you I blame the adults. I got my first turtle when I was five and I had to learn about it first and tell my parents how I would take care of it.,but I knew my parents also made sure I was take of it correctly and they also, would help researching the animals once I got them.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
I came into possession of my first tortoise 23 years ago. I'm 27 now.
My brother and I caught and kept a couple of Texas Tortoises for a few years (at that time and age, blissfully unaware of their endangered status) my parents didn't get overly involved in their enclosure construction, so they all got away over time.
That interested continued through the years, Ive had multiple Box Turtles, which are now in my brother's care since I've moved. Once I got settled in good here I bought my first Redfoot from Tortoise Yard and have 4 now. My 3 year old son loves them, he called our house "Turtle" for a long time because he knew that's where the tortugas resided lol.
So long they're willing to learn about proper care, and you're willing to rehome or care for the tortoise if they don't, by all means, get your kid a tortoise.

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Hi there, DayDreamer!

This is a very interesting topic for me, as I am a young tortoise owner, aged at 15.

While I am biased due to the fact that I am a teenager who owns two beautiful Russian tortoises, I will also openly agree that they are a lifetime commitment and should not be decided upon without any less than a few months (or years) of consideration. As mentioned, tortoises are not dogs, cats, hamsters, chinchillas, rats, birds, or any other animal that lives a max of 20 years. Tortoises are extraordinary reptile companions that can live to be 100 years of age or older.

I have heard numerous tales of "enforcing responsibility" on a child by allowing them to take care of their very own pet. I don't necessarily believe in this choice unless the child is given a hamster or a fish—something that will live 2 or 3 years. The "simplicity" of this would allow them a time frame in which the child (owner of the pet) could experience the phases of initial excitement, toned-down excitement, falling excitement, death, and the feeding and cleaning involved as well. However, when it comes to something like a dog, a cat, or a tortoise, it's a much greater commitment.

Now, the above paragraph may not necessarily relate to the topic directly, but it allows us to mentally elaborate and picture a scenario and analysis it in a way that links to the idea or demeanor of the original thread. To put things simply, I believe that a parent will know the extent of their child's responsibility and reliability when it comes to raising pets and looking after them, while also understanding the concept of "It will be exciting at first, but will you ignore it once the initial excitement disappears?" Of course, any normal child would immediately say "No!"

Although my biased opinion is not 100% fair to extend to those reading, I do support a child raising a tortoise IF they have proven themselves over the years. Now, I do not mean that they've done household chores for a few days, weeks, or even months. A tortoise is a lifelong commitment, and a child should show a lifelong sense of responsibility.

Panedora

i would say no, b/c they are a life time pet something you may have to will someone, kids teen may change their minds or live in places where they cant take a pet. Tortoise are a lifestyle or life long pets right? im am new to this so maybe idk.

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
We have owned our Sulcata Morla a whole four days now. Even though I'm a newb in the tortoise world, I'm quite versed in the teen world, having worked with them immensely as well as owning two myself lol.

I'm going to agree with Tom on this one. Not every young adult is the same nor should they all be held to the same standard of responsibility. I'd like to share with everyone the first text message my 16 year old son and I shared about Morla after *I* made the decision to take her in. image.jpg

Now while I often ask my husband when he will grow up to be like our son (because he's just that intelligent and responsible) you'll notice his response was not "omg 150 years" or "my grandchildren?" His only concern was if he could keep his new pet in his room. This very reaction is what separates teen from parent.

The decision to adopt Morla for my son was mine. Being the parent in this I feel I must assume full responsibility for my pet's health and well being even though my son may claim bragging rights to ownership. I will continue to teach my son what I learn along the way on how to best care for Morla so he can continue to do so when I am no longer able to. And, I make sure to keep reminding him of our first text messages about leaving her in his will to his grandchildren.

In short, responsible parents usually breed responsible offspring. The parent's role of head caregiver can be temporary or permanent depending upon the child's responsiveness to their new found responsibilities.

turtlemanfla88

I agree with Tom and Yvonne G. very good points. I do a lot of volunteering at my children elementary school and most of the kids go online for information about animals because a lot of parents are not big readers or to lazy to buy their children books or magazines. I always had to research animals first before mom and dad allowed me to get them. What concerns me is the parents who do not follow up behind them to make sure they got right information. I explain to my nine and ten year old anyone can be a parent the difference is being a good parent. I went on field trip the other day with 50-60 4th and 5th graders and some questions are really good and then some are out there. For example when an alligator and an snapping turtle breed that is how you make an alligator snapping turtle.

Arjun&Yoshi

Toronto, Canada
I am a mom who recently bought her son a russian tortoise for his 10th birthday. We brought Yoshi home on November 21. My son has wanted and asked for a tortoise since he was 7. He begged for one for his 8th birthday. We gave him a reptile party instead, where the finale animal was a huge Sulcata. It's funny, but he is actually terrified of cats and dogs. He won't even go into a petting zoo, the baby goats scare him. LOL!! Yet he will pick up any type of reptile, no problem. He has been reading about reptiles ever since he could read. With his 10th birthday coming up, he once again expressed just how much he wanted a tortoise. He fully understands that he will be taking care of Yoshi for the rest of his life. He changes his water, brings his food and cleans his enclosure.

Yet here I am, a member of this forum, reading and asking questions, and going to check up on Yoshi all the time. I will admit I had zero interest in getting a tortoise, but I can now say I love having that little guy! With good conscience I couldn't just leave it up to my 10 year old. I'm sure in a few years I can be less involved, but right now, I make sure Yoshi is getting the best care. Maybe because in Canada getting a tortoise is quite the financial commitment, but no matter what, it's a living breathing thing that deserves to have the best life. He is my sons pet, his enclosure is in his room, but as a family we make sure he's doing great!

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
I think it 100% depends on the maturity of the child and the parent's interest in the animal. As a child, around 7 or so, I took in a baby boxie that was found in December under our 3 wheeler tire. My parents were interested in the little guy, but I can't say they knew anything about his care. It was sheer dumb luck that I fed him at least slightly correctly, loving the way he took bugs from my hands, and had his humidity correct.Unfortunately, he lived in a 10 gallon tank with no UV lights, though he was kept in a window and I took him outside to 'play' daily. He ate lettuce (and lots of grasshoppers) and occasionally fruit. Amazingly, this little turtle lived in my care for 3 years. The blink of an eye for a turtle. My parents liked him, but not enough to research his care and help me do it properly. I was devastated, but didn't know enough to realize he was still a baby and died because of me.

Fast forward. I'm 11 years old and fall in love with these tiny turtles in a petstore in Panama City, FL. My parents get me two of them, the ever popular RES. They lived in a 10 gallon aquarium that was half land and half water. My cousin had also gotten one, but she lost interest quickly and I ended up with her. Bubbles, Splash, and Maria. I eventually found a turtle forum about a year or two into their lives with me and panicked at how awful their care was. They were upgraded to a 55 gallon tank with a floating dock. Still not ideal, but better. When I was 17, a friend of the family took interest in them and offered to take them. He and I dug a 6x8 pool with a dept down to 5 feet. We blocked it off, protected them from predators, installed a pump, gave them a basking log of driftwood and a beach of pebbles, the works. Less than a year later, he leaves his 9 year old son in charge of their care and they died. I was furious. I hadn't done the best job with then, but at least I'd kept them alive! To this day I'm not sure if he ignored the fact that his son didn't care for them, or he just didn't know. Either way, they died and I still blame myself.

When I was 17, I took on a Russian tortoise. I did my homework, I set up an indoor enclosure, and I did everything to the best of my ability with the funds I had. He died of a respiratory infection. My parents liked him, but didn't understand that he needed basking lights so they didn't help me financially to get one. While he was outside with me a few hours daily to graze while I did my homework, the house temps were too cold and his home was too humid.

The breeder felt he may have been sick when I got him, attempting not to blame me, so she offered to send me another. A few months later, I took her up on her offer and also took on a Leopard tortoise. I was 18 at this point and getting ready to go off to college. I'd already chosen a school where I could live off campus and bring my tortoises with me. As I've mentioned in a post recently, both animals were kept hot and dry because that was the common research available then. She had the best and most expensive light bulb around, a 4x8 tortoise table, plenty to eat. My new Russian got sick with a respiratory infection, though I'm not sure how that happened, but I was actually in reach of a herp vet. She (now known as a he) got well and is still with me today. My Leo is my avatar pic.

Back to my original point about parents, I really appreciate my parents letting me take on a reptile, but they were not suited to supervise me and my care of them as they didn't know themselves. It is the responsibility of the parent and the child to research and be prepared. Both partied need to be educated or the animals suffer. If the parent isn't willing to take over care if the child drops the ball, the answer should be no. I loved my little boxie and my RES, but my parents should have researched and encouraged me to research before agreeing. I take full responsibility of their deaths, but it could have been avoided. I was mature enough to do everything myself without help, but I needed them to provide financial assistance. Hard to build or buy a bigger enclosure and get lights when you're 7 and jobless and parents don't know enough to help.

Very long rant, but take it for what it is. It's just my experience and my failure to those animals. Everyone isn't me, and my experience isn't the rule. There are a lot of young caregivers on here who provide better for their animals at 13 than I do at 26. It happens, but we're all learning from our mistakes and getting better everyday.