Should sulcata breeding be regulated?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Well... I've been pondering this for several years. The truth is I don't believe in the born free concept anymore. We need to protect and help them for our health too. I also think that the illegal pet trade could have been stopped years ago especially if the laws were inforced. Everyone cites loss of habitat for extinction and really in the wild a big part of them don't make it anyway. They are prey. At least there are many people dedicated to preservation of them, breeding, and education. If they want to pass more laws it should be for protection and help for the people trying to help them. Just saying.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I appreciate the offer, really. But my problem is simpler then that. My Camaro is in top running condition, but I just don't have enuf gas money. And, no, I am not hinting at giving me money.

well keep me in mind ... that’s all I am saying

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
I totally agree with Tom on the impact of too much government regulations .
Also , in my opinion , from the economy stand if point , a healthy economy/market needs Circulation of products .which is production & consumption.

Under current circumstance, High production rate/ low profit margin sulcata babies requires a huge amount of consumption to keep breeders in business .
This shall be achieved by
1) expanding more new consumers ( the last thing this needs is government regulation )
2)relatively high mortality rate of the baby sulcata from newbie owners acts as another factor of “consumption “ . Sounds cruel but Necessary in the economy stand of point .

Sulcata is a great “gateway “ pet for people to get in the tortoise hobby , which has a tremendous amount of positive effect on education and leading more people into putting effort on tortoise conservation in the long term .
Too much government interference will definitely screw it up