Should there be a daily serving of greens served in a dish in addition to the grassy lawn that my tortoise always has access to?

Bowi

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
I’m a newbie here for pardon all of my questions!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my leopards get to go outside in summer to graze, I don't feed them daily anything else. I will about once a week feed them something, whether romaine if its extra hot out, other greens, or mazuri.

Bowi

Ca
Variety is always the best. What kind of tortoise? A good variety of grass, weeds, grape leaves, mulberry leaves.
Hi, it’s a desert tortoise. I don’t have grape leaves or mulberry leaves, but I have snail vine, rose of Sharon and my lawn. I can offer endive or escarole, and other store bought items if needed. My understanding was that they mainly need and eat grass and everything else is sparingly. I adopted him, and he’s coming to our sliding glass door as if his previous owners handed out food, it’s very cute. I opened the door, and he walked right in! (And right back out he went) haha!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi, it’s a desert tortoise. I don’t have grape leaves or mulberry leaves, but I have snail vine, rose of Sharon and my lawn. I can offer endive or escarole, and other store bought items if needed. My understanding was that they mainly need and eat grass and everything else is sparingly. I adopted him, and he’s coming to our sliding glass door as if his previous owners handed out food, it’s very cute. I opened the door, and he walked right in! (And right back out he went) haha!

They love Rose of Sharon blossoms & leaves. I would feed a few daily.
Id also add in some Opuntia cactus pads & blossoms & the “tuna”.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would give as much supplemental food as possible for the next month....they are designed to gorge as much as possible...then fall off for a few weeks before the weather cools...so as much hydration as possible and as much food as they can consume....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FInd a mulberry tree or two near you. The leaves are great food once or twice a week. Grape vines too. Opuntia is one of their natural foods. Its easy to grow "spineless' varieties yourself, or you can buy it in any Mexican grocery store like Tres Sierras or Vallarta.

Grass is great, but weeds, leaves, succulents and flowers are all good too. Lots of variety is key.