Should we have a closed enclosure?

adriantan

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi we are getting a baby sulcata soon and we have built the enclosure and we have all the necessary equipment but was wondering how we should put in the lighting. We live in the Philippines with a lot of mosquitoes so we think that we would need a cover to protect it but we don’t know how we can put the lights in. Do you have any advice? And should we stick with having a closed enclosure?

adriantan

Philippines
I also read your list for baby tortoises and for new care takers I read that you advise not to use spot lamps why? We have bought a halogen spot lamp and now I am thinking that we have made a slight mistake.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes, you should stick with a closed enclosure. It's the only way for you to control and maintain the temps and humidity.

It's difficult to help with your lights without seeing your enclosure. Could you post some pictures?

The spot bulbs concentrate the heat and light into a tight beam, a spot. That concentrated heat dessicates the shell. Instead, we recommend an incandescent flood light. It floods the area with the heat, which is far less drying to the shell.

Reactions: Ink