Show me your 6mo-1year old leopards please

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello guys,
I’m thinking of my plans for an out door enclosure for next spring/summer (when it’s hot enough) for my baby tort to spend a couple hours getting sun light daily. I was wondering how big he/she might be by then. Please show me pics of your torts around that age. Thanks in advance!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
There is no typical size because growth will depend on what/how much they feed and genetics. You should expect a 6 month to 1 year to be between 6 and 9 inches long on average.

Destben

Kansas
There is no typical size because growth will depend on what/how much they feed and genetics. You should expect a 6 month to 1 year to be between 6 and 9 inches long on average.

That’s kinda what I was looking for just a size range. Thank you!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
9 inches seems awful big for a 6-12 month old. My 2 males born 2011 is only around 10 inches.

Destben

Kansas
1 year you can expect around 4-6 inches. I used a 4x4 enclosure for my 1 1/2 year old this past summer.

That’s good mine is 3 months and I ordered and enclosure that’s 4x2 and I was hoping it would last at least a year. (With a bigger out door one for time in the sun)

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Ours just turned 15 months and is just over two pounds. About 5” tall.

Destben

Kansas
Ours just turned 15 months and is just over two pounds. About 5” tall.

Wow that’s huge compared to Torterra she’s 3 months and 90 grams I haven’t measured her length yet though

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Here are pictures of my leopard tortoise as a 1 year old. Her actual hatch date was 11-18-2016
This is 5.5” straight length measurement IMG_3212.jpg
This one is 3.5” straight side to side measurement. IMG_3214.jpg
This last is just to show her current weight of 360 grams. Hope this helps you out. Remember, as has been stated prior, all tortoises and turtles grow at their own rate. My little Shebelle just loves to eat and grow.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
She’s a beauty!

I feel very fortunate to have gotten her. I had first pick of the litter, then I had to wait for what seemed like forever for good shipping weather to arrive before I got her. I say “her” because higher temps tend to produce split scutes, and higher temps also tend to produce females.
When I feed her, I take a small military shovel out and scoop the top 2-3” of soil up with the weeds/grass and plant that in her humid indoor enclosure for her grazing pleasures. She loves it. And thank you! I, too, find her to be beautiful!

Destben

Kansas
I feel very fortunate to have gotten her. I had first pick of the litter, then I had to wait for what seemed like forever for good shipping weather to arrive before I got her. I say “her” because higher temps tend to produce split scutes, and higher temps also tend to produce females.
When I feed her, I take a small military shovel out and scoop the top 2-3” of soil up with the weeds/grass and plant that in her humid indoor enclosure for her grazing pleasures. She loves it. And thank you! I, too, find her to be beautiful!

I got my baby from a reptile expo lol if if I got the pick of the litter but I spent a good hour watching the babies before I decided on her. I have plants in my enclosure but I haven’t grown my own. They are terrarium safe plants grown locally. Then I cross referenced them on the tortoise table.