Show off your closed chamber enclosure.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Hello again, everyone. I was hoping that everyone and anyone that has a closed chamber tortoise enclosure would post pictures showing its general layout but you can post pictures of any enclosure that would keep the temperatures high enough even in a chilly basement and would also have the micro climates needed for my Hermann's to thrive.

Cutva

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392348609.323631.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392348634.374640.jpg This is in my basement. The Russian tortoises I have stay here in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
My 2 closed chambers are set up for Leopards.

The hatchling leopard chamber:
Basking temp is 97F, a thermostat keeps temps above 80F even at night, RH averages 80-90%. I use a 60watt bulb for the basking. I use a 25watt bulb for additional lighting on the cool side. I have a 100watt CHE in the center plugged into a thermostat and a tube light to help with the live plants.
2qxt8j6.jpg

2cs99vm.jpg

dh2syc.jpg

2ak0k5g.jpg

2rfdb46.jpg

The juvenile leopard night chamber:
Basking spot is 95F, a thermostat keeps temps above 80F even at night, humidity averages 90-99%. I set this up about a month ago and have not had to add water ONCE since the initial moist coir was put in. A closed chamber really does keep that humidity in :D :D
I use a 60 watt bulb for basking and a 100watt CHE plugged into a thermostat.
2qk2rmr.jpg

29c8fw9.jpg

aea0le.jpg

20zsfhy.jpg

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Team Gomberg said:

Basking temp is 97F, a thermostat keeps temps above 80F even at night, RH averages 80-90%. I use a 60watt bulb for the basking. I use a 25watt bulb for additional lighting on the cool side. I have a 100watt CHE in the center plugged into a thermostat and a tube light to help with the live plants.
2qxt8j6.jpg

2cs99vm.jpg

dh2syc.jpg

2ak0k5g.jpg

2rfdb46.jpg

Basking spot is 95F, a thermostat keeps temps above 80F even at night, humidity averages 90-99%. I set this up about a month ago and have not had to add water ONCE since the initial moist coir was put in. A closed chamber really does keep that humidity in :D :D
2qk2rmr.jpg

29c8fw9.jpg

aea0le.jpg

20zsfhy.jpg

The lamp doesnt melt the plastic? Thats what im trying to figure out right now.

Zxsong

Pasadena, CA.
I'm sure the foil around the edges where the lamp would touch the plastic is stopping the lamp from melting it. Correct me if I'm wrong! I'm just as curious as you are.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The lamp doesnt melt the plastic? Thats what im trying to figure out right now.

On which chamber are you referring to? I have no problems from either enclosure.

On the hatchling chamber the domes sit on top of a metal screen. They are separated from the clear plastic cover by a 2" rim of aluminum foil. In fact, if you lift the foil the domes still wont touch the plastic because I cut the holes bigger than the domes themselves. That's why my foil ring extends out from under the dome.
On the juvenile chamber the cut holes are lined with a thick layer of heavy duty foil. The holes are bigger than the domes and without the layers of foil there, the light would fall right through. This set up works great for me and my leos :D

Zxsong said:
I'm sure the foil around the edges where the lamp would touch the plastic is stopping the lamp from melting it. Correct me if I'm wrong! I'm just as curious as you are.

you got it. and you said it much simpler too!

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
How many layers of foil do you use to hold the lamp up since the hole is bigger than the dome

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
goReptiles said:
How many layers of foil do you use to hold the lamp up since the hole is bigger than the dome

I think its about 3 or 4 layers of thick foil. The dome is fit into the hole so well I can't move it. It's held in place very snug and works like a charm.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
bouaboua said:
This is the one I just built......

How it look outside.

How it look inside.

Can keep the humidity at 90% +........

That looks amazing! I almost want to move in!

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
bouaboua said:

How it look outside.

How it look inside.

What are the dimensions of your enclosure and what is the siding made out of?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
tortnmutt said:
bouaboua said:

How it look outside.

How it look inside.

What are the dimensions of your enclosure and what is the siding made out of?

Ahhhhh........

You may like to take a look this thread I posted regarding this enclosure.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-87243.html

I have detail information in it. I hope you like it.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Both Heather and Bouaboua have beautiful closed chambers. The most import aspect of them is that they're producing some excellent smooth shelled tortoises. Here is a link to a thread on closed chambers that has been around a few years. Many good examples and lots of great ideas: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Gbear

5 Year Member
With a closed chamber enclosure, are there no ventilation slits in the enclosure? I read somewhere that you have to have ventilation as part of the enclosure for proper care, is this incorrect?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
With a closed chamber enclosure, are there no ventilation slits in the enclosure? I read somewhere that you have to have ventilation as part of the enclosure for proper care, is this incorrect?

First is a picture of a vent on the top of one. All closed chambers some wood and some tanks.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

2qxt8j6.jpg

2cs99vm.jpg

dh2syc.jpg

2ak0k5g.jpg

2rfdb46.jpg

2qk2rmr.jpg

29c8fw9.jpg

aea0le.jpg

20zsfhy.jpg
That looks very nice!! :) Great job!

How it look outside.

View attachment 70746

How it look inside.

View attachment 70747

Impressive! :) Way to keep the humidity up!!

First is a picture of a vent on the top of one. All closed chambers some wood and some tanks.
I like the doors you made. Very cool! :D