Show us your Russian tortoises

Valerie0426

You are so lucky. I see with her hind legs stretched out that she's really enjoying her soak. My Clunk still hates his soaks, clambering wildly in his tub trying to get out. It's the only way to get out the dried gunk from under his shell so he's gonna have to deal with it.
@Clunk, she loves it. One of her soaks was too nasty to show. Boris is also 4. He can take about 10 min then he wants out! Will post Boris later.

Patorikku

Decided to bring Phteven outside today singe could get some fresh air and exercise. He's loving it. Normally he hides in his shell and hisses at us but not today! He soaked (reluctantly) then was brought out and is loving every minute of it.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472594294.172864.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472594307.069628.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472594318.457511.jpg

Clunk

Decided to bring Phteven outside today singe could get some fresh air and exercise. He's loving it. Normally he hides in his shell and hisses at us but not today! He soaked (reluctantly) then was brought out and is loving every minute of it.

He hisses at you? My Clunk has never exhibited any aggressive behavior towards me. He was timid when I first got him, retreating completely into his shell and urinating whenever I picked him up. He gradually got over his fear although still doesn't like being picked up, struggling to get free whenever I hold him. I get very close to him when I talk to him - as others have stated it's doubtful they can hear or recognize voices. He does seem curious while I speak, probably trying understand what I'm mouthing to him. No more fear of me and definitely no aggressive behavior. Took my 5 years to gain his trust, or at least, the trust of people in general as he will come running to me or any other person in his vicinity when he's hungry.

He may like people but I know he doesn't like other tortoises because of the way he viciously attacks his reflection.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
He hisses at you? My Clunk has never exhibited any aggressive behavior towards me.

Hissing isn't aggression. When tortoises get startled and quickly retract their heads into their shell, they push air out and it sounds like a "hiss". It's more of a sound of surprise than anything else.

Clunk

Hissing isn't aggression. When tortoises get startled and quickly retract their heads into their shell, they push air out and it sounds like a "hiss". It's more of a sound of surprise than anything else.

Ok that's different, that's more of a whooshing sound, my Clunk does that. Some reptiles open their mouths and hiss at you to show aggression, that is what I thought Patorikku meant.

Patorikku

He doesn't try to bite. It is the result of him pulling his head in really fast. He has done it since day one and continues to do so.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
He doesn't try to bite. It is the result of him pulling his head in really fast. He has done it since day one and continues to do so.
Poor baby, sounds like he's just scared. Mine do that at times when i approach their face too fast. It always makes me feel so guilty

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My tortoise gets startled if I blink. She's a little hyper-anxiety. ;) I've always been gentle to her, but she still sucks her head in and makes that "hiss" noise. Some torts are just made that way. :)

Patorikku

My tortoise gets startled if I blink. She's a little hyper-anxiety. ;) I've always been gentle to her, but she still sucks her head in and makes that "hiss" noise. Some torts are just made that way. :)
Luckily, Phteven has been a little more social the past few days, which makes us all happy. He's resting now after his day out and getting a little too warm.

Krook

Wisconsin
Bowser
I got him a few weeks ago and I am hoping to give him a better life than he previously had. :) I'm new at this and making mistakes every day, but I'm learning a lot from this forum. It's like having a small child!!!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472783766.300223.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472783780.654873.jpg