Shy Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

kboyd1995

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My sulcata, Rudi loves being at my side now. She crawls all over my feet and rubs up against me when I'm in her pen. And she even comes to the gate of her inside enclosure when ever I call for her, but she never let's me pet her. Whenever I so much as stroke her shell she cowers inside as fast as she can. I've tried letting her smell me first, but even getting close to her face is too much for her. She eats of my hand too. Any advice for why she's so shy?

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
It's so cute that he does show you affection. I have a very shy boy (human) and well I just always have to give him his time and space. How long have you had him/her?

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

kboyd1995

5 Year Member
Ohio
I've had her for 5 years but for unknown reasons until recently she has been extremely sedentary. Now she's a ball of energy.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
I live together 3 years already by now with my Egyptian tortoise, and he still shy eventhough I notice some affection compared to the first year.

Gotta give 'em time. There is no rush since their lifespan should be around 10-20 years averagely speaking :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of them just don't like to be touched. Keep doing it and in time she will desensitize to it. Try hand feeding a favorite treat while you touch. She'll be distracted AND it will give her a positive association with the petting.

Hybrid said:
I live together 3 years already by now with my Egyptian tortoise, and he still shy eventhough I notice some affection compared to the first year.

Gotta give 'em time. There is no rush since their lifespan should be around 10-20 years averagely speaking :D

An Egyptian is a totally different story than a sulcata. Very different personalities generally speaking.

And tortoises live WAAAAAAAAAAYYY longer than a decade or two, unless something kills them prematurely. Some of them have been verified at almost 300 years old. In reality, we have no idea how long they can live with proper diet and care. All of us and our grandchildren will likely be dead of old age before anyone has even a rough idea of how long they can live.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Some of them just don't like to be touched. Keep doing it and in time she will desensitize to it. Try hand feeding a favorite treat while you touch. She'll be distracted AND it will give her a positive association with the petting.

Hybrid said:

An Egyptian is a totally different story than a sulcata. Very different personalities generally speaking.

And tortoises live WAAAAAAAAAAYYY longer than a decade or two, unless something kills them prematurely. Some of them have been verified at almost 300 years old. In reality, we have no idea how long they can live with proper diet and care. All of us and our grandchildren will likely be dead of old age before anyone has even a rough idea of how long they can live.

Hello Tom!

Thank you for your comment! May I know if you mean "different" in a good way?

Sorry as I don't own other species, so I am unable to compare them.

Status
Not open for further replies.