Shy yearling red-footed tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
I have a young red-footed tortoise that I purchased from a breeder a couple of months ago. He seems really healthy, but he's SUPER shy. He buries himself and hides all day long. I have to pull him out to feed him, as his urge to hide is greater than his urge to eat. He seems healthy, and is alert and responsive when I pull him out. He eats when I put food in front of him, but he doesn't bulldoze through food and beg for more like my other tortoises do. He eats quickly, then retreats to bury himself.

Are these behaviors familiar to other red-footed tortoise owners? This is my first one, so I'm not sure if he's exhibiting normal behaviors or not.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
It's most likely the temps, humidity or lights are not right.

Young redfoots like to stay in the dark and if it's too bright in the enclosure, he'll stay in the hide. The temps should be around mid to high 80's in the hide and low 80's on the cool side. The humidity should be as high as you can get it preferably in the 80% or higher range. Sphagnum moss works very well inside the hide. Just dampen it slightly and it will hold the humidity most of the day. Every time you do see him out, spray him with water till he drips.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
It must be the lighting. I have a lamp on his enclosure to keep the temps up, and I mist him everyday and keep the moss wet. I'll try a heating element instead of the lightbulb to see if that makes him more comfortable...

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Let us know after a few days if he starts to come out more often. Here's a pic of my enclosure showing how the food area is lit but how dark the other side is. The hide is 10' away from the light

noflash-s.jpg

Note the lid under the light. That's what I feed them on and then take it out after they're done.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
chelonologist said:
Thanks Chucky - I had no idea these guys were so 'shade tolerant!'

Hey Michael,

Yep these guys spend a lot of time near the "Amazon" rainforest.

Read about them from 10 years experience and hatching a few.. in the links below my signature.

nerd

Status
Not open for further replies.