SICK African Tortoise please help

Dominiqueowen

Hi there. I'm new to this forum. I'm currently looking after my girlfriend's little tortoise, Scunner. I don't know how old he is, or much more, other than this...his eyes have been closed since I got him from her one week ago. He also is lethargic, and hasn't eaten at all, and has not pooped. She's had him a few months, and he's been well otherwise eating etc.

I took him to a reptile vet yesterday, and he gave him glucose (via injection, not sure into what part of the body). He also gave him eye ointment (I think Choramphenicol, with Vitamin A) to use once a day. He said the tank he's kept in needs heat, so I purchased a heat pad, and am also using a 100 watt light now. Its around 18 degrees at the moment in Cape Town, South Africa, and I put his tank in sunlight whenever there is. The Vet said the next 48-72 hours are critical!! :( :(

I soak him twice a day in warm water, and during his bath today, he submerged his face in the water, and drank for the first time (a great sign!!! I think!!!) but some bubbles came out his nose. I've googled and this seems normal I think.

As of today, he's opening his eyes a crack, but how can I stimulate him to eat? I am not sure of the species, I think Angulate, but I've attached a photo of him today. How active should a tortoise be? I don't know anything about them, except what I've googled. Please help me...

Attachments

• ttort.jpg
    ttort.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 61

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Keep him between 26-34 celcius. Especially since it's winter over there. They're relatively inactive right now. So boosting the temps and keeping him awake and warm is best. Offer lots of hides so he can feel secure. These guys like to hide in the bushes. Boost the temps and keep soaking him. What kind of enclosure do you have him set up in?

Dominiqueowen

Firstly, thank you so much for the quick reply!!!! He's in a glass tank, and the vet recommended I just put him on paper, as he could have an allergy to the straw he had in there. Not sure if he's an Angulate, trying to determine using google images. Should I worry that he hasn't eaten anything in a week? Today was the first day he gulped at some water, which made me so happy! Is there anything in particular I can coax him with to get him to eat, and get his strength back? I am desperate to nurse him back to health, as this lil guy is her BABY!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's not going to eat until he can see. The most important thing right now is to get his eyes open.

In the mean time, buy some baby food. Get strained carrots because it has a high vitamin A content. Add strained carrots to the soaking water and leave him in the water for a half hour. Do this daily. The water should be warm and should not be too deep that he has to strain to keep his nose out of it.

Get a temperature measuring device and measure how warm the floor of the habitat is. They won't eat if they're not warm enough, and room temperature isn't warm enough, no matter how hot your house is.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Dominiqueowen

Fabulous information, great, thank you!!! He had his eyes open a bit after his bath today - it seems to perk him up. His eyes are bothering him though, he keeps rubbing them with his little legs :(

I will add strained baby carrots to the water, does it matter if this goes into his shell??? Also, from today, he submerged his nose into the water and gulped a bit, but I am worried he'll aspirate. Is this normal??? Sorry, I'm a total novice. Who knew a lil tortoise could be so much worry. I love this lil guy!!! How many times a day should I be bathing him?

I will check the temperature of the floor and see. I've attached a pic similar to the foil heat pad I am using.

Once again, thank you SO much for being there!

Dominiqueowen

OH and one more thing - he opens his mouth and strains his neck a bit, but most of the time he's in his shell. He does walk around a bit, especially now that his eyes are open. He doesn't seem to be gasping, and there is no rattling noise, and any discharge...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no fear of aspiration. Tortoises drink through their nose and mouth. The nose goes into the roof of the mouth, not into the lungs. Keep putting the salve the vet gave you on the eyes. This will sooth them and help him to not want to rub them. there's no worry about the strained carrots getting 'inside the shell' as the shell is sealed off with skin.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Dominiqueowen

Yvonne you're a star! When I saw the tiny bubbles coming out his nose, I stressed. It seems positive that he is now wanting to drink and that his eyes are open a bit. Do you think he has a good chance, give the info I've provided? I'm doing my best!!! He's so adorable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, he has a very good chance.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

turtlelou

5 Year Member
He is adorable, and if you do the things Yvonne suggested he will feel better. Keep him warm and give him his soaks and medicine. I'm sure he and your girlfriend will appreciate the love you're giving him too :).

Dominiqueowen

I'm so paranoid, cos Scunner is her baby, and I need him to be ok!!! I'll keep him warm, give him the soaking baths with the carrot mix, and his eye ointment, and just hope and pray!! Thanks so much for all the support. You guys are GREAT!!!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How adorable he is! I really hope he fully recovers. Hr looks young, and as such, he should be soaked twice daily for 20-30 minutes. As soon as his eyes open, offer him so food like green vegetables. Also, you may want to treat his soaks with liquid electrolytes, the kind moms feed their babies when they are dehydrated. Often that can be found at a drug store. That kind of soak can really bring them back fast, especially since he's drinking by himself. The only thing that gave me a bit concern is his opening his mouth and stretching his neck out. Sometimes, when there is a respiratory infection or some obstruction, they will do this. I would not have straw as a substrate. Larger bark pieces may be better as a substrate.

Dominiqueowen

He is gorgeous!!!! He is currently very still. After his soaks, he gets a bit more active and walks around the tank, with his eyes open, but then seems to tire. I'm hoping that is the case anyway. How active should he be? Should I wake him intermittently, or leave him to sleep rather?

I was worried about his straining neck, and concerned it may be a respiratory condition, but there seems to be no noise coming from his mouth, so I'm hoping he was just thirsty, as he lays his head neck in the water, and drinks nicely when offered (and especially when bathing). I'll add the carrots and see if he manages to get that in.

Yes, the straw according to the vet is not great, so for the moment I have plain paper in his tank. I'll add bark when he seems a bit better.

HOLDING thumbs and praying that lil Scunner Hector Scott is back to normal soon!!! Especially before his mom comes home. She knows he isn't well, and is sending all her love to him from Thailand xxx

Dominiqueowen

I found this recipe on a Tortoise forum...for electrolyte bath. What do you guys think?

Home-made electrolytic solution
While you can use Pediolyte or even Gatorade as an electrolytic solution in a soak to fight dehydration, you can make your own solution cheaply with stuff you probably already have. Designed by the World Health Organization, the recipe is simple, and exact amounts are not important:
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt (sodium chloride, NaCL)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute (potassium chloride, KCl)
    • NOTE: Products like Morton Salt Lite are already 1/2 salt and 1/2 salt substitute, so you can use 1tsp of it in the mix.
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO2)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (sucrose, C12H22O11) (The amount of sugar is based on human/mammal needs and is partly there for taste, so it can be reduced to a teaspoon or so for soaking.)
  • Clean water (H20). 1 liter or quart for full strength. Modify the formula for a weaker solution.
You can make this up in bulk for convenience- 1 unit each of salt, salt substitute and baking soda, and two units of sugar. Store in a covered container- it should be good for months. The formula then would be:
  • Full strength- 2.5 teaspoons (almost a tablespoon) per quart or liter of water.
  • Half strength- 1.25 (or about 1) teaspoon per quart or liter of water.
  • Quarter Strength- 1/2 teaspoon per quart or liter of water.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I found this recipe on a Tortoise forum...for electrolyte bath. What do you guys think?

Home-made electrolytic solution
While you can use Pediolyte or even Gatorade as an electrolytic solution in a soak to fight dehydration, you can make your own solution cheaply with stuff you probably already have. Designed by the World Health Organization, the recipe is simple, and exact amounts are not important:
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt (sodium chloride, NaCL)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute (potassium chloride, KCl)
    • NOTE: Products like Morton Salt Lite are already 1/2 salt and 1/2 salt substitute, so you can use 1tsp of it in the mix.
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO2)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (sucrose, C12H22O11) (The amount of sugar is based on human/mammal needs and is partly there for taste, so it can be reduced to a teaspoon or so for soaking.)
  • Clean water (H20). 1 liter or quart for full strength. Modify the formula for a weaker solution.
You can make this up in bulk for convenience- 1 unit each of salt, salt substitute and baking soda, and two units of sugar. Store in a covered container- it should be good for months. The formula then would be:
  • Full strength- 2.5 teaspoons (almost a tablespoon) per quart or liter of water.
  • Half strength- 1.25 (or about 1) teaspoon per quart or liter of water.
  • Quarter Strength- 1/2 teaspoon per quart or liter of water.

Yeap, that's it. I would use it for a few days . If you don't want to do all that work, you can buy it in a store. But, either way, that is an all cure for dehydration, and when a tort wouldn't eat. Best to you, and keep me posted. Thanks.

Dominiqueowen

Thank you! I'll probably make it at home, because I'm not sure what the store bought ones have in them, and I wouldn't want to harm the lil guy. I'll start on this tonight, and hopefully see a big improvement!!! :) Thanks again!

Dominiqueowen

Ok he just had a good soak. Was very lethargic and unresponsive but after I took him out he drank a bit on his own. Then he walked around quite active but then peed A LOT and did a poo. Only thing I'm worried about is he vomited up a bit of water. Is this normal considering he drank a fair amount or should I be concerned? Made him steamed carrots and used an electrolyte Bath. Hold thumbs for lil Scunner. Your feedback on the vomiting is appreciated.

Dominiqueowen

Thought you would all like an update on lil Scunner. He had a good day, it was sunny out so we spent ages in the garden and HE ATE a small bite of grass. I actually had tears of joy!!!!! He seems to love being outdoors. I did the baby food bath today but he didn't eat any of the strained carrot. I'm going to keep up with the warm soaks a couple of times a day, and whenever its nice outside, I'll let him get some sunshine. Please keep him in your prayers.

I've added some photos below so you can see his eyes are open, and he has a bit of strength back! :)

Attachments

• 20140730_112046.jpg
    20140730_112046.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20140730_104634.jpg
    20140730_104634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20140730_110823.jpg
    20140730_110823.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 20140730_110859.jpg
    20140730_110859.jpg