SICK African Tortoise please help

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Thought you would all like an update on lil Scunner. He had a good day, it was sunny out so we spent ages in the garden and HE ATE a small bite of grass. I actually had tears of joy!!!!! He seems to love being outdoors. I did the baby food bath today but he didn't eat any of the strained carrot. I'm going to keep up with the warm soaks a couple of times a day, and whenever its nice outside, I'll let him get some sunshine. Please keep him in your prayers.

I've added some photos below so you can see his eyes are open, and he has a bit of strength back! :)
Awesome. Mine here only eat grass, flowers and succulents. Grass is best for them. Let's hope he keeps progressing forward for yah. Warm soaks will help. Sun is the best for any tortoise, especially young ones.

Dominiqueowen

I think...if I'm correct, that he is a Padloper. This is after MUCH googling. Appears they aren't the easiest species to keep in "captivity".

http://www.carecentre.org.za/padloper.html

I'm going to try and get him a few plants for his enclosure. I'm still concerned that it isn't warm enough in there, and we're expecting a cold spell coming up, so I need to try get a light. Any suggestions?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think...if I'm correct, that he is a Padloper. This is after MUCH googling. Appears they aren't the easiest species to keep in "captivity".

http://www.carecentre.org.za/padloper.html

I'm going to try and get him a few plants for his enclosure. I'm still concerned that it isn't warm enough in there, and we're expecting a cold spell coming up, so I need to try get a light. Any suggestions?
That would depend on where you found him. If I recall your In Cape Town? Can you snap a pic of his plastron(underside) and how big is he. Padlopers are very very small. Even the larger species like greater padloper and common padloper. May be in your range where you live.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Here is a range map of homopus. If your in Cape Town would be Areolatus, they're quite wee when young. Smaller than a bottle cap, and typically have a sharp beak. Looks like a Rooipens of the pics I've seen you post. Greater padlopers are very far from your area.

image.jpg

Dominiqueowen

I know my gf got him from a friend and if I recall correctly, he had been injured, hence she took him on, as a baby. Yes, I'm in CT. He is TINY. The vet weighed him on Monday and he was 35grams. TEENY tiny. Here is a pic of his plastron. I have learnt SO much about this little guy the past week. He is an amazing animal <3

Attachments

• 20140730_004944.JPG
    20140730_004944.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 22

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Definitely a Rooipens you got there. They pear shape. Homopus will be like 5-10 grams(of course knowing if this was freshly hatched, which it probably wants may be a few months old)They also have much more flattened carapaces(top shell) and scaly rough heads, and legs,

You can see the same shape which is classic of Rooipens(Angulata) form baby to adult. Either way same care really. Grass, cactus, flowers, and offer lots of water. They urinate when threatened(picked up) so I'd try to limit as much picking up as possible, unless soaking or taking outside for sun time.

image.jpg

Dominiqueowen

Awww. Ok, that is good to know. He LOVED being outdoors. Honestly, it was like he had been plugged into a charger, he was ON the go!!!! I'll go to the nursery tomorrow and get a few indigenous plants for him to pick on. I'm hoping he'll continue to improve. Any ideas on lights for his tank?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The face and legs are a giveaway too. They're too sweet and smooth. Homopus are rough scaly little guys.

Here's baby boulengeri(Karoo padloper)
image.jpg

And Areolatus (common padloper which is in your range)
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 11

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awww. Ok, that is good to know. He LOVED being outdoors. Honestly, it was like he had been plugged into a charger, he was ON the go!!!! I'll go to the nursery tomorrow and get a few indigenous plants for him to pick on. I'm hoping he'll continue to improve. Any ideas on lights for his tank?
Yeah any UVB with 8-10% is great. The tube bulbs are best. Try to find sedum, that's a good item for them. Can start digging up couch grass, and Dallas grass too from your yard, any grass really. They're big grass eaters. The sun does make them boost a lot. That's your best bet with any tortoise. I'd offer good hides too for him so he can retreat when he wants to.

Dominiqueowen

OMG. Those pics are adorable! I'm going to make a little grass patch for him for when the weather isn't sunny, so he has a good eating ground. He has a cute little home, but I'll make it seem more authentic to his natural habitat, and get the light sorted before the temp drops. Thanks again for all the info. It's almost time for his last night soak before bed.

Dominiqueowen

So last night and this morning Scunner has been open mouth breathing. I've looked back on forum chats, and this does not seem like a good sign :( He isn't straining his neck, and he isn't gasping. There are no sounds, or any discharge. Just that his mouth is a tiny bit open. What is this???? It seems like he is so up and down.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
So last night and this morning Scunner has been open mouth breathing. I've looked back on forum chats, and this does not seem like a good sign :( He isn't straining his neck, and he isn't gasping. There are no sounds, or any discharge. Just that his mouth is a tiny bit open. What is this???? It seems like he is so up and down.
How warm is the enclosure? Sounds like too hot. Any foam coming from his mouth?

Dominiqueowen

No foam from Scunner's mouth, and it seems to have settled!!!! Today outside he ate a nice amount of grass and that was adorable to watch. He's just had a good soak and drank water, so i'm holding thumbs. Who knew that one little tortoise cos make me stress SO much!!! His mom is home in 10 days!!! I'll miss the lil man!