SICK ANIMALS AFTER BRINGING TORTOISE HOME

isabellaandvesta

Location (City and/or State)
Panama City Beach, FL
Hello! My name is Isabella and I'm located in Panama City beach Florida. I recently found a Eastern box turtle on a busy highway. He was hit by the car in front of me and after checking with FWC I decided to build him a habitat in my backyard this Friday and keep him. I found the tortoise Monday afternoon and took him to my parents to stay in their screen porch until I could build him a habitat at my house.
My mom just sent me this text Message, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance...
A few things...Molly is my parents golden retriever. And Steve is their cat.

"So i have a question..we brought “James” home Monday night, Monday night and all day Tuesday Molly was throwing up and now today, Steve (and he has never thrown up). Is there a chance, the turtle (salmonila) is making them sick? Just wanted your thoughts whenever youre not busy:)"

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Did the dog and cat come into physical contact with the tortoise? Turtles can carry salmonella but I think you have to touch the tortoise and then put your hand in your mouth. So I guess if you touched your animals food or their mouths after handling the turtle, it could have been transmitted.

isabellaandvesta

Panama City Beach, FL
Did the dog and cat come into physical contact with the tortoise? Turtles can carry salmonella but I think you have to touch the tortoise and then put your hand in your mouth. So I guess if you touched your animals food or their mouths after handling the turtle, it could have been transmitted.
Just sent this information to my mom. Waiting on a reply. Thank you!

isabellaandvesta

Panama City Beach, FL
My mom says they may have licked his shell...I'm assuming we need to keep them separated at this point.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My mom says they may have licked his shell...I'm assuming we need to keep them separated at this point.
You should always keep the tortoise separated from dogs and cats. Besides the salmonella danger, dogs and cats can injure it. Dogs have been known to use tortoises as chew toys. You also don't want the tortoise to eat the dog or cat poop, or vice versa.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, the turtle didn't make the dog sick.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
while anything is possible , unless your dogs and cats are immunocompromised in some way , it is unlikely salmonella would bother them .... folks feed raw meat regularly , most of it contaminated with enteroccoccus, , campylobacter , klebsiella pneumoniae , salmonella and/or staph ....... dogs and cats walk around with salmonella in their gut , a healthy dogs will survive eating botulism tainted meat ......

Greta16

Western Maine
If he was hit by a car you should probably take him to a rehab so he can have vet care. Or take him to the vet, either way he should prob be checked out.