Sick. Approx 1&1/2yr old Salcuta Tortoise, plz help

Salcuta Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Fort Myers, Florida
Hi.Im new to the site and looking for help.We have had our tortoise,Elvis, for about a yr and for the most part his has been healthy and happy and growing.We changed his living area and added a chameleon to the top of the enclosure several weeks ago.It seems since this change hes gone downhill..He isnt moving, eating or even opening his eyes.Normally when i took him outside he would become extremely active and eat various flowers from the yard..Elvis isnt eating or moving at all really.His bottom shell is softer than normal and has some pinkish/red discoloring on underside
After researching this site i have moved him back to previous cage and started babyfood/calcium soaks..because I think the calcium/uva/uvb deficiency may be the problem.Im a new owner(+1yr)& dont have knowledge on whats happening. Plz help a concerned mom out,as we dont want him to suffer or die! THX IN ADVANCE

Salcuta Mom

Would you please post pics of your tort asap, so as to enable us to help you quickly?

And welcome to the forum!
Plz keep in mi d I did give him a carrot baby food soak yesterday. Not sure if that accounts for alil of the discoloring. I did notice some discolorimg on bottom shell prior to the soak. Any help is greatly appreciated!20190118_105808.jpeg20190118_105912.jpeg20190118_105704.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please post pictures of the baby's enclosure. What kind of light you have? What kind of heat? and any other information you can give us about your care of him

Salcuta Mom

Please post pictures of the baby's enclosure. What kind of light you have? What kind of heat? and any other information you can give us about your care of him
I will be back with u as soon as im home from work at 3. With pic of enclosure and the correct name of lights. I did find out that the lights are supposed to be replaced routinely, which i didnt do. Elvis was bought as a present for my son by his aunt, so plz forgive my ignorance as i dont have much knowledge on how important all the details(lighting, heat, humidity) are.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I will be back with u as soon as im home from work at 3. With pic of enclosure and the correct name of lights. I did find out that the lights are supposed to be replaced routinely, which i didnt do. Elvis was bought as a present for my son by his aunt, so plz forgive my ignorance as i dont have much knowledge on how important all the details(lighting, heat, humidity) are.

Don't worry - we are here to help you. We all began from "zero."

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Please give us a better picture of his bottom shell. Need to see more. The red areas could be from rubbing against something or much worse. IF it is sepsis, he needs to go to the vet ASAP.

Salcuta Mom

Please give us a better picture of his bottom shell. Need to see more. The red areas could be from rubbing against something or much worse. IF it is sepsis, he needs to go to the vet ASAP.
Pics from today. Ive been messaging Tom also and he has helped out...ho w ever i cant seem to get these photos uploaded to him. If someone could pls help get these pics to him...a little salcutas life is at stake. And i cant afford to take him to the vet for another 2wks...plz20190118_110941.jpeg20190118_194712.jpeg20190118_194819.jpeg

Salcuta Mom

Don't worry - we are here to help you. We all began from "zero."
Hi. Sorry its so late. I have a zoomed mini combo deep dome dual lamp fixture on top of a 20gallon rectangle tank. I use a 10.o UVB 13WATTS & a 75WATT basking spot light. Bothe by reptisun, i believe. I have moved Elvis back into his original terrarium where he was doing good. And continued with the carrot BF soak and a few hrs outside today! I have also been talking with Tom from the foup and he seems knowledgeable, but i aapreciate any input that will help my lil baby!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Pics from today. Ive been messaging Tom also and he has helped out...ho w ever i cant seem to get these photos uploaded to him. If someone could pls help get these pics to him...a little salcutas life is at stake. And i cant afford to take him to the vet for another 2wks...plzView attachment 262682View attachment 262684View attachment 262685
Looks like red areas on the top shell too. I have summoned Tom and Yvonne to look at them
Has he been dropped or rubbing against anything?
To me, it does not look good, but, I could be wrong. Wait till they contact you. I would get him to a vet ASAP because if it is sepsis, it needs to addressed ASAP or he will not make it. Not trying to scare you but it is critical.

Salcuta Mom

Update on my baby Salcuta Elvis. I was able to get him to the vet today. Vet said Elvis looked like he has that bone disease from the calcium deficiency, from the incorrect UVB&UVA.(forgive me for the informal wording, as i dont know the technical medical terms.) Vet also said he didnt think it was sepsis. Elvis was given a booster of calcium & vitamins. And I was given specific instructions on his living quarters. That being said Im looking for advice & knowledge on the best UVA&UVB light/lights. Is there one that has both? Also opinions on ceraminc heating light for day and night. Or should i use a intense basking light? Im tryinf to minimize the light that comes out during day & night time. Any advice & knowledge is appreciated! Thanks for those that helped!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
How did he determine your tort has MBD, also be aware, not all vets know how to take care of a tortoise. Vitamins shots, if given in the wrong dose, can kill your tort. Did he test the calcium and vitamins levels?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
vitamin shots are usually a sign that the vet doesn't know how to take care of reptiles. Unlike mammals, who can excrete the excess vitamins, reptiles cannot and overdose.

I can also see that the light you are using causes damage to the tortoise's eyes. You will want probably a mercury vapor bulb that emits heat, UV and light all at once. The wattage would depend on the size of your enclosure as well as the distance between the light fixture and the substrate. What temperature is the enclosure currently with the 75 watt?