Sick Baby Sulcata

Ahodgson30

Location (City and/or State)
Cabazon, CA
So, I purchased a new tortoise from tortoise town and after almost a week of trying to contact them they finally got back to me as they am sitting in the Vets waiting room. I’ve had Rocket now 6 days and he’s very lethargic, not eating, won’t move from his basking area, clogged nostrils. We are soaking him daily now in strained carrots and water. Humidity in the enclosure is at 80%, basking heat 95-105, cool side 85 degrees. Substrate eco earth coconut fiber and repta-bark in a concrete mixing tub that I covered. Has a humid hide with sphagnam moss and a separate dry hide. Feeding cactus, dark leafy greens with calcium supplement. Can’t really get him out in the sun because of the weather here. I give this info because the breeder is giving me different advice. I’m attaching what they said and wondering if there is any validity to their reply to me. Thanks.
IMG_1257.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Ahodgson30

Cabazon, CA
I appreciate the response. The Vets prognosis was not great. Says the little guy does no have a very good outlook and probably won’t make it. Keep doing what we r doing and basically pray. Keep soaking in water and the carrot juice solution and hope. Keep the heat and humidity up and hope he makes it. This sucks but I will give him the best fighting chance I can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry this is happening. You bought from the wrong source. I hope he pulls through and makes it.

Read that thread that Technocheese linked for you and then read this one for comparisons sake:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Just for reference, here is the correct care info for you:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Me and several other sellers on this forum start them right and you won't have these problems. Most other breeders do not.

Ahodgson30

Cabazon, CA
Thank you Tom. I wish I’d found this forum sooner. I’d have never gone with the breeder I went with. Now my little guy in in the fight of his life. I’m not giving up on him and have learned such a great amount from you and others here. You guys do great work. And thank you for the help and advice.

Bee62

Germany
Hello, I am sorry to hear how sick your new baby is.
It`s a shame how pet shops treat their tortoises only to make money. And when the animal dies they can sell another...
That makes me very angry.
I hope your little one can turn around and go back to health. What does the VET do ? Has he given your baby antibiotics ?
How lethargic is your baby ? You can put him in a very flat terracotta plant saucer ( so that he can`t drown if he lay down his head on the ground ) with water and place the saucer with your tort under a basking lamp. Make sure that it is not too hot. Let him sit in the warm water for hours, maybe the whole day long. It will do no harm to your baby to sit in warm water. It is good for the kidneys and the whole body of your baby.
Good luck. My fingers are crossed for your tort.

Ahodgson30

Cabazon, CA
No, the vet didn’t give any antibiotics, too young for that. I’ve read too many threads here on how that’s more detrimental than good. He did give a saline/calcium injection and sent us home with eye drops and a homeopathic solution of calcium and phosphate to try and give orally. I am able to hand feed him some mazuri mash and soaking him in carrot juice water solution and this morning was the first morning he finally opened his eyes and is beginning to wander his habitat. Little steps but any sign of improvement is very welcomed. So we will keep doing what we r doing and keeping a close eye on our temp and humidity in the enclosure.

Ahodgson30

Cabazon, CA
We, although Rocket was showing signs of improvement initially, he has passed away. I am heartbroken and pissed off at the same time that I received a sick baby and wasn’t able to revive him. You will be missed Rocket. Though we only spent a very small time together we will never forget you. A very strongly worded email to the breeder is next. I am pleased though that my other baby is still thriving and for now will focus all of our efforts in making sure that it continues as we decide whether or not we want another baby to fill the spot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So sorry to hear that. Sad indeed.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm so sorry [emoji26][emoji26] i hope when the time is right you can experience another tortoise in your life