Sick baby sulcata

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
yes LLL does shows and sells animals at the shows
Then there's a big show or conference coming up in November that many members are attending. It's time for people to discuss this problem & start nudging other people. I can think of nothing worse to let spread than this devastating bacteria without making a better effort to stop those breeders & resellers once they KNOW they are selling sick animals, especially if they're bringing infected torts to Reptile shows.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I agree with @Jan A ! Hell I'm in South Africa and if I could attend I would! Its time that people learn the right care for torts (especially sulcatas). For too long people have shared the wrong info and have been spreading diseases, it's time to change it

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
they dont care thats the issue. you can tell them all about it and they just will replace the animal. most stores or resellers like them dont either. look at underground they have sold a ton of them and still are. a lot of people dont like me for saying it but imo sulcata should be a permitted animal. there would be a lot less people buying a dozen of them this way and then dumping them off when they get to large to only go out and get more because they are only cute as babies (sore spot if you cant tell) and it would help stop people from being able to sell hundreds at a time.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@mastershake I have read through these reports... this is really horrific. A pandemic between sulcatas, I see you are working hard on these diagnoses, what would the cure be, ellimination of all infected? This really doesn't look good, do you think a cure could be found, I've seen even antibiotics don't work?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
they dont care thats the issue. you can tell them all about it and they just will replace the animal. most stores or resellers like them dont either. look at underground they have sold a ton of them and still are. a lot of people dont like me for saying it but imo sulcata should be a permitted animal. there would be a lot less people buying a dozen of them this way and then dumping them off when they get to large to only go out and get more because they are only cute as babies (sore spot if you cant tell) and it would help stop people from being able to sell hundreds at a time.
I don't disagree with you at all. I am appalled at the people selling baby sulcatas on Craigslist showing pictures of babies on top of babies. Even selling 2 babies at a time & not warning they will shortly need to be separated is bad enough.

OTOH, it seems to me the easiest place to start is reptile shows & not allowing them to exhibit if they're selling sick animals there or on the internet. That takes some communication from other exhibitors to the organizers putting on the event.

Times have changed. It may be too late to address this problem within the industry itself. I hope not.