SICK BABY SULLY! URGENT!

darlingtiffy

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Florida
Hi all! Yesterday Timmy wouldn't eat at all yesterday, even outside. He really wasn't moving and would only open his eyes in his soak. I worried all night that this was the end, but he was alive and even moved around on his own a little this morning. We found an exotic vet (finally!!!) and I dropped him off for an exam and observation this morning. When I walked in there was a woman with a beautiful turtle in the waiting room. I'm hoping it was a sign that this was the right place to take him. I'll let you all know what they say.

darlingtiffy

Spring Hill, Florida
Hi again! I just talked to the doc and she said she thinks he has an upper respiratory infection and some conjunctivitis. She gave him sub q fluids, and is going to tube feed him, as well as start an antibiotic. She said that we should offer him a drier, less humid side to his tote so he can be warm, but dry out a little if he wants/needs to. She wants one side to have the heat source and be super warm and moist with a hide, and the other side to be warm, but drier.

We will have to bring him back everyday for tube feedings until he eats on his own. They're also going to give him the medicine while he's there so I won't have to worry about screwing it up. :)

I'll keep you guys posted, but I'm super stoked to hear that he has something treatable!

darlingtiffy

Spring Hill, Florida
Hello everyone!! Timmy went back to the vet today for his tube feeding and meds. They wormed him today as well to cover all the bases. Doc said she isn't worried about impaction at this point and is hoping between the tube feedings and wormer he'll start pooping soon. She also gave me a lot of confidence in her when she told me (without my asking) that she wasn't going to consider any vitamin shots, especially vitamin A, as he's too tiny. She said the the risks to overdosing him weren't worth it. She doesn't even consider vitamin shots for torts until they are over 100 grams. As of yesterday, Timmy weighed 20 grams. Which is more than I thought. We'll see what today's weight is when I pick him up.

I picked up some flukers forest mulch last night and redid his hospital tote with it. It looks homier and more comfortable for sure. I still have him on the white towel on the mulch under the heat lamp, and this morning he actually moved off of it on his own. He's a such strong little fighter and I cannot wait for him to get better!!!

As always, I'll keep you guys posted...

drew54

Indiana
Hello everyone!! Timmy went back to the vet today for his tube feeding and meds. They wormed him today as well to cover all the bases. Doc said she isn't worried about impaction at this point and is hoping between the tube feedings and wormer he'll start pooping soon. She also gave me a lot of confidence in her when she told me (without my asking) that she wasn't going to consider any vitamin shots, especially vitamin A, as he's too tiny. She said the the risks to overdosing him weren't worth it. She doesn't even consider vitamin shots for torts until they are over 100 grams. As of yesterday, Timmy weighed 20 grams. Which is more than I thought. We'll see what today's weight is when I pick him up.

I picked up some flukers forest mulch last night and redid his hospital tote with it. It looks homier and more comfortable for sure. I still have him on the white towel on the mulch under the heat lamp, and this morning he actually moved off of it on his own. He's a such strong little fighter and I cannot wait for him to get better!!!

As always, I'll keep you guys posted...

I'm so glad that you have a great vet. I hope he starts perking up soon.

darlingtiffy

Spring Hill, Florida
I'm so glad that you have a great vet. I hope he starts perking up soon.

Thank you @drew54! I have sat in the waiting room the last couple days with a woman who's sully is sick with the same thing and another lady who's turtle has pneumonia. Both of them are on the mend, so I'm taking this as proof that Dr. Green knows what she's doing. :)

Tiny Tim saw Dr. Green this morning, and even though he missed his tube feeding and meds yesterday due to them being closed, he's up another gram. He's up 2 grams since we started seeing her!

In other news, I spent a day and a half fighting with a new basking light over the weekend, but it was totally worth it. Timmy was walking around his tote and moving to regulate his temps. His walk looked a lot stronger too. Doc warned me that with these guys it's a very slow recovery, but I am seeing things that make me think we're moving in the right direction.

Now all we need is for him to open his eyes and eat on his own. :)

I'll let you know how tomorrow's visit goes...

drew54

Indiana
Thank you @drew54! I have sat in the waiting room the last couple days with a woman who's sully is sick with the same thing and another lady who's turtle has pneumonia. Both of them are on the mend, so I'm taking this as proof that Dr. Green knows what she's doing. :)

Tiny Tim saw Dr. Green this morning, and even though he missed his tube feeding and meds yesterday due to them being closed, he's up another gram. He's up 2 grams since we started seeing her!

In other news, I spent a day and a half fighting with a new basking light over the weekend, but it was totally worth it. Timmy was walking around his tote and moving to regulate his temps. His walk looked a lot stronger too. Doc warned me that with these guys it's a very slow recovery, but I am seeing things that make me think we're moving in the right direction.

Now all we need is for him to open his eyes and eat on his own. :)

I'll let you know how tomorrow's visit goes...
Yes it will be a slow recovery. I'm glad things are looking up for your little guy. Look forward to his next update!

darlingtiffy

Spring Hill, Florida
Good morning all. It is with a heavy heart that I share the news of Tiny Tim's passing late last night. He became increasingly lethargic in the afternoon and even after a trip to the emergency vet to see Dr. Green for fluids, he was unable to pull through. I found him peacefully "sleeping" at 3:30 this morning. Another trip to the e vet confirmed he was gone.

We buried him in the backyard and used a piece of his basking tile as a headstone. We are all heartbroken.

Attachments

• 20180910_172710.jpg
    20180910_172710.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180910_172957.jpg
    20180910_172957.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180910_173029.jpg
    20180910_173029.jpg
    686.2 KB · Views: 36

drew54

Indiana
I'm sorry. Don't be discouraged though. I lost one also, but it was unfortunately due to my error, but I corrected my mistakes and my little one now iss doing good. I think that is one of the worst feelings I've had in a long time. Just get your set up where it needs to be and try again. You got plenty of people here to help and give you support.

Melis

Maryland
So sorry to hear this. You did everything you could to help this little one!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sorry he did not make it but you certainly did your best for him! He was lucky to have someone who cared so much.

drew54

Indiana
How was your Thanksgiving? Are you planning on getting another?

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
So sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that you did your best for him and he was loved.