Sick California Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akila

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a California desert tortoise, name Otis who is 14 yrs old. I just found out via a vet visit today, that Otis is actually a girl. I took her in because she became somewhat lethargic over the last two days. The vet seems to think she was dehydrated, and he gave her a huge injection of fluid with calcium, however her mood/energy has not changed. Has anyone experienced this before.... Any suggestions?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Does she have access to water? Have you seen her use it? What is her diet? Where do you live and how hot has it been?
If she isnt feeling better in a day or so,, it might be something else. Bloodwork and/or xrays.
When was the last poop?

Akila

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Laura said:
Does she have access to water? Have you seen her use it? What is her diet? Where do you live and how hot has it been?
If she isnt feeling better in a day or so,, it might be something else. Bloodwork and/or xrays.
When was the last poop?

I do give her fresh water everyday, and she does normally drink it. Her diet consists of mixed greens (i.e. swiss chard, collard greens, etc.) as well as broccoli, which is her favorite. Her last poop was yesterday (solid). The vet said to give her until Monday. She had not moved all day, but i just checked on her and at least she move to a different spot now. If she isn't better by Monday, i will certainly have xrays. Of course, if she worsens, before then, which hopefully won't happen, i will take her to ER. I live in Southern California, Norco (inland empire) and it was very hot up until Sunday. She does have shelter, but perhaps it got too hot for her.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Akila said:
I do give her fresh water everyday, and she does normally drink it. Her diet consists of mixed greens (i.e. swiss chard, collard greens, etc.) as well as broccoli, which is her favorite. Her last poop was yesterday (solid). The vet said to give her until Monday. She had not moved all day, but i just checked on her and at least she move to a different spot now. If she isn't better by Monday, i will certainly have xrays. Of course, if she worsens, before then, which hopefully won't happen, i will take her to ER. I live in Southern California, Norco (inland empire) and it was very hot up until Sunday. She does have shelter, but perhaps it got too hot for her.

Akila, I live not to far from Norco actually about 15-20 minutes away. It was very hot (111). I have 2 foster DT about 8.5 lbs each. They have a half of a plastic dog house as a hide. During the intense heat we had they would come out early about 6 am for breakfast then again when I got home in the evening, when I ran the hose or sprinklers for them. They would eat a little and then back to the hide. What I didn't know is that inside the hide they were digging in deep. If the sprinklers were on in the afternoon they came out and just sat in them. They seem to like it better when I just let the hose run inside their pen. They come to drink when they hear it running and they did drink lots. I found that from the sprinklers running the hole they dug was into damp dirt. I placed some shade cloth over the hide so it was in shade all day and filled in the hole. They are back in the hide scraping a little but not digging in deep now that they have lots of shade. I still run the hose in their enclosure every day when I fill their water bowl. I use the sprinklers 2-3 days a week to keep the plants green and give them a little shower time. Try running the hose lightly over the back of her shell every now and then this seems to trigger the want to drink.

http://www.tortoise.org/general/descare.html
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Gagassiziicare.htm

Hope this helps some. Watch her closely and please keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.