Sick Indian star tortoise

RossT

image.jpgHello everyone..
I am having problem with one of my Indian star tortoise. Look at his face it is looking starange and his head is getting slightly white. I just wanted to know is der any disease from which he is suffering or it is normal :(

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello Ross:

You may need to provide more information about him, size of the enclosure? what did you use for substrate? lighting? day and night temperature? humidity level? the diet? How many you have in one enclosure?

Before those expert can provide any suggestion or analysis, I will like to suggest you put him in a different enclosure.

RossT

It is a baby star..regarding it's enclosure I have kept him in alone in a reasonable box and he eats regularly and properly such as ladyfinger, cucumber, leafy greens etc and he also moves properly.. Regarding temp and lighting, he gets direct sunlight for whole day.. And the only problem is regarding substrate coz I haven't used any kind of substrate in the box I have put some cotton sow that at nights the temp doesn't go too much low.. That's it
My problem is he's face which is looking strange I mean very much low, looks like he is suffering from something.:(

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
RossT said:
It is a baby star..regarding it's enclosure I have kept him in alone in a reasonable box and he eats regularly and properly such as ladyfinger, cucumber, leafy greens etc and he also moves properly.. Regarding temp and lighting, he gets direct sunlight for whole day.. And the only problem is regarding substrate coz I haven't used any kind of substrate in the box I have put some cotton sow that at nights the temp doesn't go too much low.. That's it
My problem is he's face which is looking strange I mean very much low, looks like he is suffering from something.:(

Can you get a close-up picture of the face? If that is your only concern...

RossT

bouaboua said:
RossT said:

Can you get a close-up picture of the face? If that is your only concern...

Here you go.. Plz check n revert..hope sow everyting is gud n well..:)
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
My estimate is your enclosure is too dry. Where do you live???

Baby star tortoise need to have a humid enclosure. Put a layer (3 inches) of coco coil in the "box" and keep it moisture, not wet.

We have many good threads about closed enclosure. Please go to the enclosure section, you will find lots, lots very useful information.

Maybe more experts will provide more analysis.

I recommend to use a damp substrate and raise humidity in his enclosure! Soak him daily in warm water and leave it there for 15-20 minutes making sure the water doesn't get cold. I've had sick torts before and what I have done is put a few drops of Fluker's Liquid Vitamin into their soaking water. The torts would drink the water and in a few days they would be better and healthy again[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] You should give it a try and if that does not work then I say to take the poor tortoises to a vet! Good luck with your tortoise![TURTLE]

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
CLMoss I would gess yes because 3 Picts of the tort but none of the enclosure . But that's why we are here :)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
CLMoss I would gess yes because 3 Picts of the tort but none of the enclosure . But that's why we are here :)

I sent Ross a culture sheet for Stars. This is a very sick little Star... I hope that Ross follows the sheet.

~C

FlyingPanda

I sent Ross a culture sheet for Stars. This is a very sick little Star... I hope that Ross follows the sheet.

~C
HI CLMoss:

Is it possible you could help to share me the culture sheet for Stars as well? I recently get a baby star (Indian star), and I have tried a lot of different ways to make him comfortable in my place, I am not sure if I follow the right path.