Sick RES with peeling skin

Nivla

Location (City and/or State)
Malden, MA
My red-ear sliders are sick with white spots and peeling skin. I read in another post that it's a fungus problem. Could someone help confirm? What the best way to treat it?

All four turtles have been sick for 1-2 months. I tried to use the melaleuca oil from pet store to treat them but didn't seem to be too effective. I just started soaking them in salt water today and plan on doing this daily for the next 2 weeks. Should I try betadine soak?

I have had them for 5-10yrs and never had this problem (or any problem) before. If they don't get better, could someone recommend a vet to check them up? I live in the greater Boston area in MA.

IMG_20200510_102122.jpg

Nivla

Malden, MA
More pictures.

The more severe one has a lot of white skin.

The others have red bruising in the limbs.

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
they look healthy , what I can see i'd guess is bacterial …. i'd use chlorhexidine , put it in a spray bottle , spray the turtles all over without getting it in their eyes , mouth or nose (face) , leave them dry out in a box for an hour or so and then put them back in their enclosure …i'd do that for a week and see if it improves …. is the water in their enclosure filtered ? do they have a large enough land area to dry out on , with a temperature gradient , an area where they don't have to sit under a basking light ?

Nivla

Malden, MA
Appreciate the advice. I will try the chlorhexidine.

3 of them seem to have those minor red spot/bruising. The other one has white skin that looked fungal. I would say he started with those red spot and turned to white skin after a while. Could it be both bacterial and fungal at the same time?

I have filters and dry docks for them to sit on and bask. I take them out to the balcony to bath in the sun once in a while in a plastic container as well. Their condition is not too bad, and they are eating normally and seem active. But they are not healing either.

IMG_20200509_211634.jpgIMG_20200509_211648.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Could it be both bacterial and fungal at the same time?

yes ….. chlorhexidine should help wit either ….. make sure they have a place to be out the water and comfortable …...