Sick russian on antibiotic

Cscui

5 Year Member
Hello! Every time I go out to feed Cocoa I think I need to go and post an update but withy kids' schools ending it was a crazy last month.

He is doing much better but def he lost some of his sight :( but well, he is very stubborn so I see how he tries, he climbs, omg he escaped his garden so many times I just let him go freely in the whole backyard now hehe.

I was feeding him so he got used to it, he would open his mouth high like I'm here feed me! and well I really wanted him to eat so I wouldn't mind but now I've been letting the food in pieces so he can re-learn to eat by himself cause we go on vacations on the fall and the last 2 years he did roam and ate by himself with the different lettuces I planted in his garden so I really want him to be able to find that again so I don't have to worry about him or finding someone else to come and feed him.
I added some extra water plates around the backyard that get refilled everyday by the watering home system but since I removed the blocks on his garden he comes back to his burrow at the garden.

One time I went outaide and I head this noises in a bush and I was like oh oh cause we have a bunch of lizards and stuff but I was afraid it was a cat that sometimes shows up or worst, a snake so I carefully move the bush to part it cause its very green and leafy and omg there he was Cocoa in between the bush climbing like seriously maybe 5in from the ground, all in the branches and I was like what are you doing?!!! OMG!

When he walks he put his head very low like to see where he is going, he is very carefull and I think the sun bothers him cause he is not sure where to go so I've paid attention and he walks only on the shade, like if I put him in the middle of the yard at noon he walks to the shade and then he moves around that shade like it could be the house shadow and he walks on the edge of it like if he could fall out of it or something if he walks on the sun, that's what I think.

When I put his food he walks backwards away from it and then like 5in he starts eating and of course there is nothing, so I have to push him. Or lure him with the food to get closer little by little, he is very careful. When I was first explaining my husband how I think he can't see or sees all blurry we were eating at the table and I looked at my plate and I see blurry (I need reading glasses) so I was telling him how you have to move away to foucus and I realized that's exactly what Cocoa does! I wish I could put eyeglasses and shades on him, poor baby. I wear shades out most of the time hehe maybe I'll make him some out of the plastic opticRx or those you can cut, I have some I bought for my swimming goggles, who knows it might help him.

I think after this he trust me more, he lets me pet his neck under his head, the very soft skin, and I even clean around his mouth with my fingers and he doesn't complain, he is just so adorable haha I love him.

I even found myself very calmed when I feed him and its a very relaxing 30mins as I put him in top of the backyard table in a plastic box cover so he doesn't feel threaten (with the floor) or if he makes a mess and I can be sitting in the chair and I don't mess with my back either but I know he has to be able to eat by himself. So right now I can say he is training, it bothers me that sometimes he walks away but I have noticed that the next day the food is almost gone, so well, it might take more time for him to eat. Just once per week I want to feed him so I can give him his vitamins drops.

So well yes he has improved a lot thanks God, thanks for asking! How is your baby? Is a she right? I hope she is back to normal, eating and having fun in your yard!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
My baby is herself, thank you for asking. Has gained 150 grams since coming out of hibernation.

I’m glad to see Cocoa is doing so well. That’s really interesting/sad about the sight. Does the vet have any idea? Or maybe another member here?

Cscui

5 Year Member
Did you mention you used the coil type UVB? Those can damage the eyes and may be responsible for his sight issues.

Yes, that's what I thought after reading somewhere and stopped using it. I had used one before and never had problems, this was new and I think brighter. Vet adviced to put it on so I followed. Cocoa got a sticky eye like for 2 days when sick but when I took him to the check up he was ok and Vet said it was nothing but I googled and took the bulb out and put it back in box, I just never went to store to complained and return, I should've.

I think we used it for less than 3 weeks maybe but looks like maybe that was enough to damage, I don't know, I'm not sure, he was pretty sick I thought he was not gonna make it so it could be the infection got his sight too, but well after that I just took him outside to get the sun instead for 30min. He can see me when I get close but he has problem with depth :( but well he is doing ok, he is just slower still cause he is very careful, I miss him running ;)