Sick Sulcata Baby! ADVICE?

Tortoise Man

My 7 month old sulcata seems to be sick and I've done much research on what to do. He is very lethargic, eyes always shut, plastron seem soft, and his eating has been reduced. When I soak and hand feed he will open his eyes and will eat but after that he goes back to his lethargic way. I do soak in baby food. Carrots mostly. His substrate in his enclosure is coco coir and peat moss. I put calcium in his food for when he does eat, and I ordered some liquid reptile vitamins too. I ask heard tums are good too, but I haven't tried them yet. He is also very small for his age! I don't really know how much a vet will cost but from what I hear it is expensive. I thought I would ask the experts for some help QUICK. I have helped him for 2 straight days now. I really would like for him to get better. Any ideas or miracle advice. Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Does the plastron seem like it is getting softer, or just natural pliablility to the shell. Does the shell look transluscent?

Tortoise Man

It has really always seemed to be kind of soft and never really had as a rock. And I will look at the shell asap in the morning and get back to you on that because it is kind of late and I just had time to make this topic.

Tortoise Man

It's current weight is around 70-80 pound but it was like that even before it was acting this way. He is very small for his age. I got him from a local pet shop and he was a hatchling in rabbit pellets and the man told me to keep him dry. I did not listen because I had already done my research.

Tortoise Man

And his weight is not pounds. It's 70-80 grams which like I said is very small for his age

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
So he is just under 3 pounds, that is small. I ask about the softness of the shell, because a tortoise can have a soft shell for months or years, it's normal. What isn't normal is a shell that was hard gioing soft, that"s serious. See the eyes and lethargy point toward an RI, which is why I was asking about the shell.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Soeey I have to ask these questions, but what's the diet? does he get sunshine, or artificial light?What type of bulb?

Tortoise Man

He has Romain Lettuce and some other greens with calcium powder.(which he hates) He does get sun but not for long at all because of the cold. When summer comes he will have sun all day.

This is is basking light bulb.......ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424901812.135213.jpg

Zeko

5 Year Member
70-80 grams at 7 months is very very small.

Something is really going wrong. Can you post more pictures of every art of his habitat? Temps, humidity, any other info.

Thanks!

Tortoise Man

The humidity never or rarely goes below 60%, and I try to never let the temperature go below 70 or above 90-95.

Tortoise Man

Thank you all for your help!! He seems to be getting a little better but I will keep everybody posted

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I would def up the hum. and temps. Try to spronkle the calcium powder a little lighter it has a strong smell which can cause them not to eat the food. I would sprinkle very lightly 3 times a wweek, barely dust it, they don't need a lot each time. prob less lettuce more greens.