Sick Tort? (not eating)

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nacogdoches, TX
Hi. I have a sullie that's around 2 years old. He has an indoor table. We had to leave home for about a week, so I left out a tray of water to soak in, a pile of fresh greens, and a pile of timothy hay.

When we got back, the food had hardly been touched. At first I just chalked it up to the weather being so cool. (We set the thermostat around 72, but the heater wasn't able to keep up & the house was in the mid/high 60s.)

However, when we got home, we cranked the heat up some, I've been givin' the little guy regular soaks, & fresh greens. He's eating a little, but he's not the greens munching machine that he was before we left. He's also a lot less active. Just hangs out in his hide.

Should I be concerned?

Regards,

JD

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
RE: Sick Tort?

I would certainly be concerned. Raising the temps is a good thing to do. Get them to around 80F or warmer 24/7. He needs a basking spot where he can warm his core temp to above 85F. Usually that means that the basking spot has to be around 95F. Watch for any sign of nasal discharge. Be sure to keep him well hydrated. Daily soaking in 95F water for 20 minutes would help to do this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

So, while you were gone, you didn't have the tortoise's light on a timer and the light was off the whole time?

Its going to take a while for the tortoise's core temperature to get back up to where it is supposed to be in order to digest food. He won't eat until that happens. His light is on now, right? What kind of light does he have?

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Nacogdoches, TX

Yvonne G said:
So, while you were gone, you didn't have the tortoise's light on a timer and the light was off the whole time?

Its going to take a while for the tortoise's core temperature to get back up to where it is supposed to be in order to digest food. He won't eat until that happens. His light is on now, right? What kind of light does he have?

No, his light was on the whole time, but he's not hanging out in his basking area. Instead he's staying in his hide.