sick tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
My work just got two 4 inch red footed tortoises in. They were fine for 4 or 5 days, then we noticed one breathing heavy at times, but not all the time. I was thinking it was something along the lines of a URI. My manager took it to the only reptile vet.nearby, althought their expertise I am strongly doubting. The vet thought it could possibly have parasites, and prescribed Baytril orally. First off, from some googling and forum scanning I did, injections seemed the common way of adminstering Baytril. Correct me if im wrong. I also didnt see anything about Baytril treating parasites. Is this a common parasite medication? A fecal sample wasnt done so I feel the parasite diagnosis was out of left field. If it is a respiratory problem, will oral baytril help or should it be injected. I read some colds can be cured with consistent proper temps and humidity. Any help would be very much appreciated.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Well, Baytril is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, so as far as I know, it won't get rid of internal parasites like worms... It should help clear up a respiratory infection, though, unless it's something caused by a bacterium that doesn't respond to Baytril... I've also always heard of antibiotic injections for torts, not oral, but maybe only because it's easier to give the shot? If oral meds are cheaper, that could be why he decided to give prescribe them that way. Props to your manager for taking them to the vet. A lot of places don't even notice that their torts are sick until it's too late. Panacur is the dewormer that's normally used in torts to get rid of internal parasites. I'm surprised the vet mentioned the possibility of parasites and did not follow up with it. If the torts are wild-caught, it definitely would not hurt to deworm them. A high parasite load can cause problems down the road.

Higher temps can help them fight off certain illnesses and infections, and keeping them at the right temps/humidity can help help keep them from getting sick in the first place. But, I don't think I'd ever rely on higher temps alone to treat an illness, unless it was my only option. Meds usually help a lot.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
shellysmom said:
Well, Baytril is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, so as far as I know, it won't get rid of internal parasites like worms... It should help clear up a respiratory infection, though, unless it's something caused by a bacterium that doesn't respond to Baytril... I've also always heard of antibiotic injections for torts, not oral, but maybe only because it's easier to give the shot? If oral meds are cheaper, that could be why he decided to give prescribe them that way. Props to your manager for taking them to the vet. A lot of places don't even notice that their torts are sick until it's too late. Panacur is the dewormer that's normally used in torts to get rid of internal parasites. I'm surprised the vet mentioned the possibility of parasites and did not follow up with it. If the torts are wild-caught, it definitely would not hurt to deworm them. A high parasite load can cause problems down the road.

Higher temps can help them fight off certain illnesses and infections, and keeping them at the right temps/humidity can help help keep them from getting sick in the first place. But, I don't think I'd ever rely on higher temps alone to treat an illness, unless it was my only option. Meds usually help a lot.

It was dewormed at the vet and will start its oral Baytril tonight. I did some digging and there were very mixed opinions on whether or not it should be injected or oral.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
There are some benefits and dangers of each. Injectible is generally quicker acting, quicker absorbed and quicker results. However, they hurt. Baytril is thick and stings going in. Torts figure that out quick and it becomes a chorte after a couple of doses. You also risk sores and mass results rom baytril in reptiles at the injection site.
Oral baytril is great because there is no poking. You can have baytril compounded and flavored to tort friendly flavor and some will eat it just fine either from the syringe or on their food. If you "force" medicate them with oral meds, you always run the risk apiration pneumonia from the force of the syringe. Im in veterinary medicine and have seem some really gnarly and bad sores from injectible baytril. I personally use and recommend oral meds (or any kind/treatment)

theelectraco

5 Year Member
reticguy76 said:
There are some benefits and dangers of each. Injectible is generally quicker acting, quicker absorbed and quicker results. However, they hurt. Baytril is thick and stings going in. Torts figure that out quick and it becomes a chorte after a couple of doses. You also risk sores and mass results rom baytril in reptiles at the injection site.
Oral baytril is great because there is no poking. You can have baytril compounded and flavored to tort friendly flavor and some will eat it just fine either from the syringe or on their food. If you "force" medicate them with oral meds, you always run the risk apiration pneumonia from the force of the syringe. Im in veterinary medicine and have seem some really gnarly and bad sores from injectible baytril. I personally use and recommend oral meds (or any kind/treatment)

He isnt eating now :( so it is so hard to get it to take meds. I brought him hime so i can medicate properly and keep the temps and humitdity up. Hes very lethargic, wont eat even tho he poked his hesd.around.and went for some food but never actually ate.any. I don't know what to do. Should we have the vet give an initial injection. Does the dewormer cause loss of appetite? He has pooped, while i was trying to medicate.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Had to pry his mouth open with a pair of tweezers but i was able to give him his meds this morning and tonight. Still not eating. Should i force feed? 2 days so far without food.

Status
Not open for further replies.