Side Effects of Panacur?

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
Are there any common side effects for tortoises when they use Panacur? My tortoise’s stool has become extremely loose following the administration of Panacur and I’m unsure if this is to be expected.

Note that their diet had been changed a short time before the administration of Panacur, so this could be impacting their stool also. As well as the daily soaks to remove the dead parasites from their system.

Any help is appreciated!

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
It kills parasites. But it can also kill some if the gut bacteria and that can slow digestion.
Even stop it briefly

Ahh okay, I see. Thank you for the response!! Would feeding the tortoise probiotics help during the period which the gut bacteria is being killed off?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ahh okay, I see. Thank you for the response!! Would feeding the tortoise probiotics help during the period which the gut bacteria is being killed off?
Nope
Only eating the healthy poop of a tortoise of the same species will work.
Thankfully it's probably not necessary

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Nope

Just a little more info on this commonly stated idea...

There have been a lot of studies done on the effects of panacur (fenbendazole) on the gut microbiome. One of the big benefits of using panacur is that is quite safe with a very wide margin of safety in treatment doses. It is effective on killing intenstinal worms yet has virtually no effect on beneficial bacteria or protozoans. All studies I have read show no change in the gut microbiome after treatment other than the reduction in intestinal worms.

You should see no side effects to treatment with panacur.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Nope
I see… I’ll keep that in mind for the future :)
No point wasting money on something that doesn’t offer any benefit.

Just a little more info on this commonly stated idea...

There have been a lot of studies done on the effects of panacur (fenbendazole) on the gut microbiome. One of the big benefits of using panacur is that is quite safe with a very wide margin of safety in treatment doses. It is effective on killing intenstinal worms yet has virtually no effect on beneficial bacteria or protozoans. All studies I have read show no change in the gut microbiome after treatment other than the reduction in intestinal worms.

You should see no side effects to treatment with panacur.
I knew about the wide safety margin of Panacur, but I always assumed the safety (Apart from medicines being… Essentially poison) was down to its ability to kill off good things in the body?? (I’m not well informed on the negative effects of medicines see).

Do you have a link to some of these studies? Or the names of the studies which cover this? I’d enjoy reading more on the subject :)

Thank you both for your responses! I’m learning a lot from this.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I see… I’ll keep that in mind for the future :)
No point wasting money on something that doesn’t offer any benefit.

I knew about the wide safety margin of Panacur, but I always assumed the safety (Apart from medicines being… Essentially poison) was down to its ability to kill off good things in the body?? (I’m not well informed on the negative effects of medicines see).

Do you have a link to some of these studies? Or the names of the studies which cover this? I’d enjoy reading more on the subject :)

Thank you both for your responses! I’m learning a lot from this.
I have a file of over a thousand studies on several areas of interest. Easiest is for you to do a google search...
"Does fenbendazole kill beneficial bacteria in gut?"
You should get several studies and abstracts on it for hind-gut fermenters - horses, etc. That's often the closest you can get for tortoises as so much study has been done on other domesticated animals. So look at the hind-gut fermenters = closest to tortoise digestion.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I have a file of over a thousand studies on several areas of interest. Easiest is for you to do a google search...
"Does fenbendazole kill beneficial bacteria in gut?"
You should get several studies and abstracts on it for hind-gut fermenters - horses, etc. That's often the closest you can get for tortoises as so much study has been done on other domesticated animals. So look at the hind-gut fermenters = closest to tortoise digestion.
Thank you, I’ll definitely give a few studies a look over!