Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When I first got my Aldabran tortoises, Bo and So, they were just about the size of my hand without the fingers. They have always lived outside in the pen where they live now, but over the years I have moved the fences a bit, enlarging the pen a couple times. When I first put them into the pen, it was about 16' square and I had a piece of grape stump in the middle as a sight barrier.

aldabransightbarrier.jpg

I put my flip-flop beside it so you could see its size. When the babies were hatchlings, they couldn't see over the top of the stump.

The piece of wood stayed there in the middle of the pen all these years (10) through both of the enlargements. The tortoises are now around 120lbs and their sight barrier is a mere bump in the road to them.

I have always had to knock down the grass on the south side of the pen with the Weedeater because the tortoises never went over to that section. Here lately, my across-the-street neighbor has been mowing and weedeating the pens for me and one day he asked me what the grape stump was for and I explained. He asked could he move it to clean out the grass around it and I said sure. So he just set it back about 10 feet south.

The next day I noticed that one of the tortoises was grazing on the north side of the stump, a spot where they had never gone before. So I moved the stump way back to the south fence. Sure enough, the next day both tortoises were grazing in the area south of where the stump used to sit.

So, even though they could both see over and around that stump, because it had been a barrier to them when they were small, they never went around it even when they were bigger.

Pity it took me 10 years to figure that out, huh? Now, even though the pen hasn't changed sizes, far as the tortoises are concerned, its about twice as big as it was before!

aldabran10-10.jpg

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
You have amazing tortoises! They look so beautiful and the story is nice and funny. I am not familiar with this kind of tortoises but now I am, I read a bit about them. Thansk for sharing this story and the beautiful picture of them.
Michal

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thats a great story :) Funny how they would not cross it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Maybe they were just scared of it. It's a pretty wicked looking piece of wood... :p

Actually I would kill to have that stump to put in one of my vivs, lol!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's amazing. Do you think it's all torts that would do that or just the species that you are talking about? I know a boxie, no matter how small would attempt to get over that stump.

Kevin Kelly

5 Year Member
Texas
That's a great story, amazing animals, and fascinating learning. Thanks for sharing.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
They are beautiful torts! I wish RV had a little of the barrier 'issue'. She has taken to crossing over the arched plywood that covers her burrow. Scares the willies out of me when I see her do it, but she has apparently done it quite a bit as there are scratch marks on both sides.

RVsyard.jpg

You can see just the end of the plywood. It is actually around 8 feet long. We slide it back and forth as needed to either cover the burrow entrance, or allow light/air deeper into the burrow. She no longer goes around - but over. Just don't get in her way...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
sharkstar said:
She no longer goes around - but over. Just don't get in her way...

Those darned sulcatas! Gotta luv 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.