Signs of pyramiding?

Nelocin

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Y'all. Any pics or links or even your own tortoise home ideas will be highly taken into consideration. Tell me what to doooooooo.?
You don't want to use Saran Wrap under a hot light. Yeah, it's pretty frustrating for you to put together how you think it should be, and we tell you that you need to change this or that. But you need to start over and do it right.
Agreed. Thank you. I'm taking ANY AND ALL considerations. Drop them here please. Money ain't a thing. Mama just got a sweet job so.

So if anyone wants to create like a shopping list? (I'm so dead rn) I'll check it out. I'm that desperate and silly. ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What you need is a real closed chamber. Trying to modify an open topped enclosure and having the lights outside is a compromise that just never works well. Having the lights outside allows most of the heat you are generating to escape up an into the room, drawing your humidity with it, and it creates a chimney effect.

Contact @Markw84 and see about one of his fantastic enclosures. You could get the 4x3 now, and expand it in another year ir so when your tortoise gets bigger. That would last until its time for your tortoise to live outside full time.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@Srmcclure can you show OP your grow tent enclosures.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
@Srmcclure can you show OP your grow tent enclosures.
Sure ?

Marks enclosures are the best of the best. Im dreaming of a few of those lol, but here is my current 2 setups that are pretty easy. Just takes some engenuity lol

20200814_070556.jpg
this one is my leopards so environment will be the same for a sully ?
20200814_070608.jpg20200814_070612.jpg
20200814_070617.jpg

And here is my redfoots so you can see the 2 CHE's going instead of the RHP
20200814_070646.jpg
Both of these are 3ft x 6ft

Nelocin

Florida
Sure ?

Marks enclosures are the best of the best. Im dreaming of a few of those lol, but here is my current 2 setups that are pretty easy. Just takes some engenuity lol

View attachment 303421
View attachment 303422View attachment 303423
View attachment 303424

View attachment 303425
How beautiful!!!! Thank you for sharing. Ive just thought about possibly adding this mini greenhouse over the current outdoor enclosure we have. It will fit snug right over the whole thing https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outsunny...Waterproof-UV-Protected-Cover-Green/186538022

I think it might provide the moisture we desperately need. And I'll add a sprinkler misting system inside. What are your thoughts? Where can I get a linear uvb light like that? The one I have now won't work.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
How beautiful!!!! Thank you for sharing. Ive just thought about possibly adding this mini greenhouse over the current outdoor enclosure we have. It will fit snug right over the whole thing https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outsunny...Waterproof-UV-Protected-Cover-Green/186538022

I think it might provide the moisture we desperately need. And I'll add a sprinkler misting system inside. What are your thoughts? Where can I get a linear uvb light like that? The one I have now won't work.
I've seen a few people use something very similar in a few different ways and they had good results I believe. My only concern would be the wood from the table. Idk if its treated and so it may mold/rot with the humidity. Just something to think about. My uvb light i got here as the kit

And if you have a good closed chamber you won't need a misting system. I added some water into my mulch when I put it in there and I just pump spray it in the morning and after work to keep the top layer damp for my leopard and I spray his shell while I'm at it. It stay 90-99% humidity in there with no problems ?

Nelocin

Florida
I've seen a few people use something very similar in a few different ways and they had good results I believe. My only concern would be the wood from the table. Idk if its treated and so it may mold/rot with the humidity. Just something to think about. My uvb light i got here as the kit

And if you have a good closed chamber you won't need a misting system. I added some water into my mulch when I put it in there and I just pump spray it in the morning and after work to keep the top layer damp for my leopard and I spray his shell while I'm at it. It stay 90-99% humidity in there with no problems ?
Sure ?

View attachment 303421
View attachment 303422View attachment 303423
View attachment 303424

View attachment 303425

No cheapy wood. And no tortoise table, I went with a diy garden bed type setup and I got the thickest wood I could find(don't remember it's name) but I made sure to ask if it was durable. This seems perfect to me. I'm so excited to buy this thing. The price is pretty fine as well. ?

Nelocin

Florida
No cheapy wood. And no tortoise table, I went with a diy garden bed type setup and I got the thickest wood I could find(don't remember it's name) but I made sure to ask if it was durable. This seems perfect to me. I'm so excited to buy this thing. The price is pretty fine as well. ?
And thanks so much for the UV link!!!!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
And thanks so much for the UV link!!!!
Ok awesome! I know setting all this up for a tort can be a lot to remember so i thought I'd throw that in there just in case you had fried tortie brain like I had ??
And np! The 12% is what you should get for a sully ? good luck and post lots of pics ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I used to operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. This is a tort table I acquired along with a couple of Russian tortoises. The lid is cut in half, that's plexiglass in the front.so I can see what's going on at any time. I don't rescue much anymore, but there's a blind box turtle and a 3 legged box turtle in there now, but I did use it as a humid hide for a couple of Sulcata hatchlings. It's heavy, takes 3 people to move it and I have it sitting on an old coffee table.There's no way any of my stuff looks as good as Marks, for mine, there's no adornment, my stuff is not fancy, but it works. I have 4 of these each different but the same...
100_2728.JPG
100_2727.JPG

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I used to operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. This is a tort table I acquired along with a couple of Russian tortoises. The lid is cut in half, that's plexiglass in the front.so I can see what's going on at any time. I don't rescue much anymore, but there's a blind box turtle and a 3 legged box turtle in there now, but I did use it as a humid hide for a couple of Sulcata hatchlings. It's heavy, takes 3 people to move it and I have it sitting on an old coffee table.There's no way any of my stuff looks as good as Marks, for mine, there's no adornment, my stuff is not fancy, but it works. I have 4 of these each different but the same...
View attachment 303443
View attachment 303446
As you know, doesn't have to be pretty, just has to get the job done ? so it looks perfect to me lol

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
View attachment 303345View attachment 303344View attachment 303346

Breaking my own heart here because this raising came out of nowhere from day to night. He's always had a silly scute (3rd one down from top/bottom). I'm not a fan of this and am literally going to force him to stay moist. Lol he's so spoiled and prefers dry/heat. We live in Florida. He's always grazed on grass and eats weeds, all affordable and free throughout the yard. Thinking of incorporating greens from the super market though. He occasionally has kale/romaine as a treat. Never had a fruit in his life. So I'm really unsure if it's the moisture he isn't getting or his diet causing this. His enclosure is going to stay moist AF from now on. Just let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

And I'm forcing him to eat tortoise diet as well from now on by mixing it with his food as it's something he completely doesn't like. He's never liked any brand tortoise diet. He's a mess. :(
Yes, this is definitely the start of pyramiding. Although it will never effect the tortoises heath it's just a personal preference to have nice looking torts. I would add some fruit every once in a while mostly for hydration.. You will have a hard time with that enclosure. There is lots of info on proper housing on here.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes, this is definitely the start of pyramiding. Although it will never effect the tortoises heath it's just a personal preference to have nice looking torts. I would add some fruit every once in a while mostly for hydration.. You will have a hard time with that enclosure. There is lots of info on proper housing on here.
Op has a Sulcata, you should never feed fruit to a Sulcata.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sulcata should never have fruit, even for a treat. I am guilty of feeding my bigger Sulcata a fruit treat, but never to a smaller younger Sulcata

Nelocin

Florida
Ive tried giving him cactus fruit, strawberry, etc... He just doesn't care for sweets. But I think I've found a solution. I'm going to buy this long mini greenhouse that will fit perfectly right over his current enclosure. That should do the trick. ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If pyramiding continues it can cause MBD metabolic bone disease, not saying this tort will continue pyramiding and get MBD. But don't say that pyramiding is only cosmetic, sometimes it's not. This is Knobby, a rescue
100_3974.JPG
overshot lower jaw
100_3261.JPG

TheWaveCarver

New York
Im going to link my thread here which I created recently only because it contains some information on how I put together my indoor enclosure which might help you. I think the biggest thing is the greenhouse since thats what traps the humidity.

I should also mention there is an amazon wishlist in that thread which lists the items I bought to pull this off. So you can pull from that some of the items I implemented into the design.

Livestream:

Attachments

• 20200719_165647.jpg
    20200719_165647.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Nelocin

Florida
Im going to link my thread here which I created recently only because it contains some information on how I put together my indoor enclosure which might help you. I think the biggest thing is the greenhouse since thats what traps the humidity.

Livestream:
I appreciate all of the information/active commenting. I'll keep you guys updated once I see some improvement. Btw: he's never had any fruit and that's okay with me. Thank you. ??

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
I’m in Florida too. I had mine in a closed chamber enclosure on my patio. I thought I was doing everything right. He wasn’t pyramiding but he wasn’t growing very much. @Tom gave me the same advise. I brought him inside immediately with proper temps, lights, heat, humidity and he started growing like a weed. I limit him to a few hours of roam time for Natural sunlight and grazing and soak him everyday for 30 minutes. I think he looks pretty good!

Attachments

• 67385184-70A6-4FA5-96C3-C6EB2A7AE614.jpeg
    67385184-70A6-4FA5-96C3-C6EB2A7AE614.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 450ECEB7-4519-4294-962E-75542F845914.jpeg
    450ECEB7-4519-4294-962E-75542F845914.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I’m in Florida too. I had mine in a closed chamber enclosure on my patio. I thought I was doing everything right. He wasn’t pyramiding but he wasn’t growing very much. @Tom gave me the same advise. I brought him inside immediately with proper temps, lights, heat, humidity and he started growing like a weed. I limit him to a few hours of roam time for Natural sunlight and grazing and soak him everyday for 30 minutes. I think he looks pretty good!
Looking great!