sillyness, again and again and again and again and again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
w/ all due respect to TFO, the mods etc., if ballon animal and plastic tortoise images keep afloat in the thread list for their cuteness, or a serious inquiry for tea is met with bumps based on mind's eye images expressed numerous times of turtles 'playing tea party', maybe it's time to consider a new POV for splitting threads, "chelonians' herpetology" from "giggle posts".

Just thinking out loud here.

That's my wine, you'all have supplied plenty of cheese.

What say ye?

Will.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I couldn't disagree more. I see no problem with a little silliness mixed in. It keeps things light and fun.

And besides, we already have an off-topic chit chat area on the forum for things that are way off tortoise topic.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
mctlong said:
I couldn't disagree more. I see no problem with a little silliness mixed in. It keeps things light and fun.

And besides, we already have an off-topic chit chat area on the forum for things that are way off tortoise topic.

I could not agree more "a little" and/or in the off topic threads, so in principle we probably agree.

But real inquiries are often buried by the sillyness, and that sorta defeats what seems to me the primary purpose here, to help and facilitate people's quality care for their chelonians.

That's why I'm here.

Will.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I like the cheese but not the wine. The threads that do not specifically pertain to what you are looking for do not stop you in your quest for serious tortoise discussion, obtaining tortoises or whatever it is that you are here for. Just because a goofy thread is bumped idoes not mean you have to read it or that it take's away from your thread in any way. We are all tortoise keepers but we are not all here for the same reasons and I think this this forum does a great job of supporting our eclectic group.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also disagree. This is a great forum because we can share anything. Laugh, disagree, maybe even cry a little. However, we can always come together for a great laugh, or off the wall discussion. It makes for a very comfortable place to be. The tortoise and turtle questions are always answered. Members are always helped. If you can't laugh once in a while, this would be quite a boring place to be. We are all here to learn, see pictures, hear tortoise stories and get help. We all aren't here to be tortoise scientist or breeders, or herptologist. Some, maybe most of use, are here because we have a pet tortoise or turtle and want to talk with others that do also and learn the best way to take care of them, or get help if one is sick. If it was nothing but all serious, and scientific, not many would stick around.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
CtTortoiseMom said:
I like the cheese but not the wine. The threads that do not specifically pertain to what you are looking for do not stop you in your quest for serious tortoise discussion, obtaining tortoises or whatever it is that you are here for. Just because a goofy thread is bumped idoes not mean you have to read it or that it take's away from your thread in any way. We are all tortoise keepers but we are not all here for the same reasons and I think this this forum does a great job of supporting our eclectic group.

Well, that's just it, for one inquiry of interest, there are several 'silly' responses that do get read, so as to follow the thread, to sort out the silly from the serious, so following posts to that thread are coherent with the serious, and not the thick bits of silly.

I do not have an interest in discouraging 'turtle tea party' ideas or thoughts at all, but mingled in and among an answer to a real question is sillyness.

People have referred to science as 'mumbo jumbo', as an expression of the angst with a learning threshold beyond their interest, perhaps capability. I fond this POV as a balance to that.

There is a chat for music, I've looked through it, but it's called what it is, it's not an anecdote about Motley Crue or the Gibbs in the middle of someone seeking info on a diet item.

It's like going to the produce section at your grocery store and seeing bicycle tires next to the carrots. I know mega grocers carry bike tires, even engine oil, but they are not mixed in with the produce, or behind the glass fish case.

Will.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
So what your saying is that you really thought that a tortoise balloon animal was going to be a deep scientific discussion and you wasted precious minutes reading all of the "so cute" posts? Is that the main point of this thread? I also do not believe the majority of TFO believes that science is "Mumbo jumbo".

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
CtTortoiseMom said:
So what your saying is that you really thought that a tortoise balloon animal was going to be a deep scientific discussion and you wasted precious minutes reading all of the "so cute" posts? Is that the main point of this thread? I also do not believe the majority of TFO believes that science is "Mumbo jumbo".

On the ballon animal, my first thought was someone was posting an image of a prolapse, after that I looked no further.

My main point, which I'm figure was read over, is the insertion of sillyness within the serious interest, and posts that are entirely silly, in real thread categories.

See how this thread is in 'debatable topics' while the ballon animal is not in 'other photos', but in the section for images about turtles.

There are many great interest thread on many forums about chelonian philately or chelonian numismatics. Not about real chelonians or actual chelonian issues, but still of interest and related to the big picture.

I have no idea the proportion of mumbo jumbo folks that are here, but the expression or derivatives of it have been used frequently. And frankly, if one is open to imagine a small table with turtles in little dresses sipping their high noon tea, then I would presume it's ok for me to imagine the left side of the bell curve of people here.

Will.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Will said:
And frankly, if one is open to imagine a small table with turtles in little dresses sipping their high noon tea, then I would presume it's ok for me to imagine the left side of the bell curve of people here.

What??!!! Are you seriously saying that people with a sense of humor are on "the left side of the bell curve?" Thats just ridiculous.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite Maya Angelou quotes:
“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I enjoy the silliness but laugh most at the delusions of grandeur.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Will said:
Not the laughing bell curve, I enjoy finding humor in many places. The bell curve I speak of it the one that determines who rides the short bus. Will

So, to clarify, you're saying that people who find the tortoise tea party funny are unintelligent?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
mctlong said:
Will said:
Not the laughing bell curve, I enjoy finding humor in many places. The bell curve I speak of it the one that determines who rides the short bus. Will

So, to clarify, you're saying that people who find the tortoise tea party funny are unintelligent?

In short, No. I find them unrelated, no correlation at all.

Will

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why are you leaving huge spaces at the end of your posts?

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I think this thread is sillier then all the above listed threads (JMHO)
look I can make a big space after my post too :p

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Why are you leaving huge spaces at the end of your posts?

You know Tom, I love in a purely platonic man-ly kind of way.

I left that huge empty space there to illustrate how annoying reading silliness in serious posts can be, but I did not seek for anyone to actually read content, just use the scroll function on their 'puter.

And it is indeed annoying, you win the prize, I don't know what the prize is, maybe you can tell me something you want, I am open to suggestion.

I won't do that anymore.

See, I find that funny, and Tom with a straight forward question has put a bigger smile on my face than all cute antics my cat does everyday. IF I were to post cat images though they would be in the other photos thread, or maybe in the "pretend chat" under off topics next time cat images are posted there.

I won't post an image of the tortoise shell pattern of my cat under images about tortoises.

Will

Melly-n-shorty said:
I think this thread is sillier then all the above listed threads (JMHO)

look I can make a big space after my post too :p

OMG, this is all so funny, Tom and Melly-n-shorty both get prizes, though I still don't know what they are.

See how I took all that space out, a promise is a promise.

Will

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I Will agree with Will, haha. That some of the threads aren't in the correct sections. Thats the fault of the member posting. Some just arent sure where it should go. Also, I'm sure the mods are busy with all the new members we are getting on a daily basis to worry about moving those threads to the correct place. I also agree there may be some silliness within a some what serious thread. I persoanlly have not seen any of this in a thread that I would consider serious. A sick or dying tortoise is a serious thread to me. A thread, where the enclosure or diet or general care is all wrong, is a serious thread to me. There may be a few more examples that excape me at the moment, however, I can't say, I've seen silliness in these types of threads.
BTW, glad you were purposely leaving the space. I thought my ipad was screwing up again, which its been doing today anyway:D

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I agree. The tortoise tea party thing...What on earth does someone have to think to ask if their tortoise can drink tea? It goes on to long, in the wrong category...If you want to post humorous "crap", then post it in chit-chat. The forum, the way I see it, is for owners to ask questions and be answered, with maybe a little humor mixed in. As far as not knowing where to post it....Don't post it at all.
Now, of course, this feeling will never be universally shared, and there is nothing that will ever be done about it. However, glad to know I'm not the only one that finds it annoying when a thread dominates a category for weeks on end, gathering almost a hundred posts, when the sole purpose is how cute someone thinks their tortoises' butt looks....

Status
Not open for further replies.