sillyness, again and again and again and again and again

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Baoh said:
This thread is a real cluster of elitism mixed with anti-intellectualism.

Regurgitation is being confused with digestion by some and that confusion is being parroted in regurgitated fashion. If you understand the information fully, you have digested it. If you repeat it after having fully understood it, it is not regurgitation. If you repeat it without fully understanding the information, you are regurgitating it. The difference is defined by the depth of your understanding. It seems many do not understand even that difference.

I do agree with you about not fully understanding the information. I try never to repeat information without understanding it. Parroting things you have heard others say, but not ever using it or understanding it yourself, would be regurgitation. However, you have still regurgitated it if you have once read it somewhere to learn it.

CtTortoiseMom said:
RedfootsRule said:
emysemys said:
Sorry, but you know absolutely nothing about me and what I know about turtles and tortoises. I have had turtles and tortoise for about 40 years. I must admit that during the first 30 or so years I was keeping my tortoises the way I was taught, however I can honestly say that there is nothing old school on my property anymore. Everything I do for my tortoises I do from first hand experience. You can go Wa-a-a-a-y back and double check that I am the first one to offer soaking sick tortoises in baby food. I learned this all by myself. No one told me about it and I didn't read it. When I first suggested it I was almost laughed off the YAHOO listserv that I belonged to. There are many more instances, however at 74 years of age I can't remember most of them. And besides, didn't you understand that I ALWAYS preface a post that I know nothing about the species with, "I don't keep this species, but I've read..."?

Okay, Yvonne, so you are, in essence, saying that every food item you offer to your tortoise, you learned from first-hand experience all the benefits it offered, or if it was even safe to feed? Completely absurd. Now, you have used this in first-hand experience, as have we all...But you did not LEARN it in first hand experience. Thus, most things you say, was once read, learned, somewhere, and makes it regurgitated; the fact that you had applied it in your care is regardless. Also, you just admitted that the first 30 years you did what you were taught...Well, you are one of the few here that has kept tortoises for 40 years. The rest of us are still in our first 30 years....So I will proudly keep passing on what you refer to as "regurgitated". The only difference between you, me, and Eric, is that I am humble enough to admit it, not try to deny it out of pride....

So the fact that Yvonne was and is running a turtle and tortoise rescue and has rehabbed countless species of turtles and tortoises with her own hands and then has taken that expertise and used it on this forum is regurgitating information?

If she has first learned it elsewhere BEFORE having applied it, and not learned it purely out of her own experience, then yes, absolutely. Is that so hard to understand?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I certainly couldn't have said it better.
Baoh said:

Regurgitation is being confused with digestion by some and that confusion is being parroted in regurgitated fashion. If you understand the information fully, you have digested it. If you repeat it after having fully understood it, it is not regurgitation. If you repeat it without fully understanding the information, you are regurgitating it. The difference is defined by the depth of your understanding. It seems many do not understand even that difference.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think its very obvious the ambivalence of status labeling of an expert per say . So many specifications and details of tortoises are known facts and a reality of science. However, i do believe that many people learn in different ways. As well, that many scientific, and or husbandry practices or personal experiances can vary. People will never get along. Especially pertaining to the different levels of "experiance" all of us have. Whether or not its considered silly or regurgitated. It all benefits some people on multiple levels of wealth. Wealth could be a smile, giggle, or even a "wow, i never knew that. Thanks for info" moments. I can understand both sides of sillyness and the scientific sides of whichever party one might side with. I will say i am human, and with my great passion will always learn something new in this industry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RedfootsRule said:
The only difference between you, me, and Eric, is that I am humble enough to admit it, not try to deny it out of pride....

I'm not exactly sure what "pride" has to do with this, but it seems to me you are saying something bad about me. I don't understand how you can possibly say things about people you have no knowledge of. Almost every single post that you make sounds holier than thou. I think we can go back and re-read your posts and not be able to find a single one where you weren't trying to instigate an argument. Once again, you have started to debate the people and not the subject.

Let's all get back on topic. We're supposed to be talking about silliness on the Forum.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RedfootsRule said:
Baoh said:

I do agree with you about not fully understanding the information. I try never to repeat information without understanding it. Parroting things you have heard others say, but not ever using it or understanding it yourself, would be regurgitation. However, you have still regurgitated it if you have once read it somewhere to learn it.

CtTortoiseMom said:
RedfootsRule said:
emysemys said:
Sorry, but you know absolutely nothing about me and what I know about turtles and tortoises. I have had turtles and tortoise for about 40 years. I must admit that during the first 30 or so years I was keeping my tortoises the way I was taught, however I can honestly say that there is nothing old school on my property anymore. Everything I do for my tortoises I do from first hand experience. You can go Wa-a-a-a-y back and double check that I am the first one to offer soaking sick tortoises in baby food. I learned this all by myself. No one told me about it and I didn't read it. When I first suggested it I was almost laughed off the YAHOO listserv that I belonged to. There are many more instances, however at 74 years of age I can't remember most of them. And besides, didn't you understand that I ALWAYS preface a post that I know nothing about the species with, "I don't keep this species, but I've read..."?

Okay, Yvonne, so you are, in essence, saying that every food item you offer to your tortoise, you learned from first-hand experience all the benefits it offered, or if it was even safe to feed? Completely absurd. Now, you have used this in first-hand experience, as have we all...But you did not LEARN it in first hand experience. Thus, most things you say, was once read, learned, somewhere, and makes it regurgitated; the fact that you had applied it in your care is regardless. Also, you just admitted that the first 30 years you did what you were taught...Well, you are one of the few here that has kept tortoises for 40 years. The rest of us are still in our first 30 years....So I will proudly keep passing on what you refer to as "regurgitated". The only difference between you, me, and Eric, is that I am humble enough to admit it, not try to deny it out of pride....

So the fact that Yvonne was and is running a turtle and tortoise rescue and has rehabbed countless species of turtles and tortoises with her own hands and then has taken that expertise and used it on this forum is regurgitating information?

If she has first learned it elsewhere BEFORE having applied it, and not learned it purely out of her own experience, then yes, absolutely. Is that so hard to understand?

Peter,
Since we are talking about Silliness, I think it is SILLY that you are so hung up on this word "regurgitated". Everything that she has done can not possibly be in a book. You can only read so much. Yvonne has used hands on examples of caring for tortoises and turtles and applied methods based on the individual needs of the turtle/tortoise she was working on and used real life experience to help others. It is also Silly that you called yourself "humble" if you were so humble you would have done a little homework and immediately apologized for making Yvonne out to be some well meaning, newbie, book worm.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
So what's left to discuss in this thread?

Oh, and it's "silliness", not "sillyness". I've seen it more than once and had to say it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I thought this was still active as an opportunity to bash others and feel better about ourselves. Lol. You are, an exclusion to this. I tried to spell it correctly I think.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
emysemys said:
RedfootsRule said:
The only difference between you, me, and Eric, is that I am humble enough to admit it, not try to deny it out of pride....

I'm not exactly sure what "pride" has to do with this, but it seems to me you are saying something bad about me. I don't understand how you can possibly say things about people you have no knowledge of. Almost every single post that you make sounds holier than thou. I think we can go back and re-read your posts and not be able to find a single one where you weren't trying to instigate an argument. Once again, you have started to debate the people and not the subject.

Let's all get back on topic. We're supposed to be talking about silliness on the Forum.

But Yvonne, in your own words...I didn't think you could say bad things about people you have no knowledge of. I never started an argument. I merely pointed out the fact that if we want to say others have "regurgitated" information, then we ourselves better have learned every piece of information we know from hands-on experience and field studys, and have never touched a book. If you haven't done that, your info is regurgitated. You and others wanted to use that as some sort of insult; I merely pointed out you should investigate yourselves before others. Yet, somehow, that started an argument. If you unjustly aim the blame out me, so be it.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you can justify putting your last word in to insulting me, and then ask us all to get back on-topic, and not expect a response. I have no desire to argue with a moderator, but that is just plain "silly". If you wish to delete this post, then I suggest you delete yours also, else you are a hypocrite...

There really is nothing left to discuss in this thread....There is silliness here; some say to much, some say its just their cup of tea. So it can't be fixed. The only "fix" would be a new topics section that was suggested, to please the other set of members, but there is clearly to much opposition for that, so it won't happen.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The great thing about being in a civilized society that has a written language is that I don't need to know how a nuclear power plant works to know that they do work. Collective information is a great accomplishment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mctlong said:
I think this thread has run its course.........

I totally agree. The person that started it, pretty much got over it and has not posted in quite some time. I think the thread should be closed before it goes further out of hand. Just ask members to not put silliness in on more serious, educational, scientific threads. If they do, skip over it.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
All I can say is wow! I absolutely LOVE this Forum and everything and everyone in it. It is a wealth of knowledge that would be impossible to learn on my own. But honestly,,,, If I would have read all of this before I joined,,, I more then likely would not have joined...

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
TortyTom said:
All I can say is wow! I absolutely LOVE this Forum and everything and everyone in it. It is a wealth of knowledge that would be impossible to learn on my own. But honestly,,,, If I would have read all of this before I joined,,, I more then likely would not have joined...

I like the forum too. Don't let one thread worry you. Sometimes you've gotta be the bigger, more mature person and let someone have the last word, even if you don't agree with it. Or else it could go on forever.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
myflutterby said:
I'm new... this is intimidating...:(

Aw, it's not that bad. Honestly, new people should probably steer clear of the debatable topics forum for a while. At least until they have a better grasp of what the forum is about.

A new person jumping into this topic would probably be afraid to comment on things they're not 100% expert on. It may be a good idea to make this forum accessible to members who've been here for a certain amount of time, or have a certain amount of posts, judging by some of the comments I've seen regarding this thread.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortus said:
myflutterby said:
I'm new... this is intimidating...:(

Aw, it's not that bad. Honestly, new people should probably steer clear of the debatable topics forum for a while. At least until they have a better grasp of what the forum is about.

A new person jumping into this topic would probably be afraid to comment on things they're not 100% expert on. It may be a good idea to make this forum accessible to members who've been here for a certain amount of time, or have a certain amount of posts, judging by some of the comments I've seen regarding this thread.

I totally agree on the part that newbies should not read these kinds of threads. I did that when I first joined. It was my first forum ever. I was kinda intimidated with the disagreements that was going on. However, unless you are very small minded, you will quickly realize that this is only 1/2 to 1% of this forum. Maybe even less. The rest if this forum is very kind, giving and helpful. You just can't have the diversity of members we have and always have everyone get along or agree on the same things all the time. It's just not possible. It's not possible in a family and its never going to be possible here. Everyone needs to take what they can from these kinds of threads and debates and then get over it. Realize what this forum really is about and what I'd does for our shelled family members. If you don't like someone or an opinion, that's fine. Give your say if you want and move on. You don't have to live with anyone here, nor do you ever have to talk to them if you don't want. However, I do think you owe it to your tort to consider what they are saying. It might be info you will want or need.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
A few years ago, on another forum, I was trying to help a new CH owner in keeping up the humidity for her little tort, so I posted that I kept my inside box turtles in glass vivariums, and was doing the same with my Cherry Head hatchling. I went on to describe how I set up the viv. and what plants I used, and heat, lighting etc., and how this helped keep up the humidity. Everyone came on with very negative posts and were very hurtful and critical, telling me I had no right to give new owners this information as no tortoise or box turtle should be kept in glass vivariums. Needless to say, I was mortified, embarrassed and hurt reading all the hurtful comments. My husband saw how upset I was, and told me to shut off the computer, and after I did, he said that now no one on that forum exists anymore. And he was right. (I rarely give advice now, and if I do I always say......it's just how I do things.)

Status
Not open for further replies.