Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
terryo said:
My husband saw how upset I was, and told me to shut off the computer, and after I did, he said that now no one on that forum exists anymore. And he was right. (I rarely give advice now, and if I do I always say......it's just how I do things.)

This is a great concept. "Just shut off the computer!" and no one exists anymore. I love it!!!

And Terry...you may not give advice anymore, but I do, for you. I try to find pictures of your beautiful glass habitats to show keepers of baby RF and box turtles what to strive for.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
myflutterby said:
I'm new... this is intimidating...:(

You actually join even longer than me. You should have noticed that even there are many debates here, so far this forum is great for all members, especially newbies.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
terryo said:
A few years ago, on another forum, I was trying to help a new CH owner in keeping up the humidity for her little tort, so I posted that I kept my inside box turtles in glass vivariums, and was doing the same with my Cherry Head hatchling. I went on to describe how I set up the viv. and what plants I used, and heat, lighting etc., and how this helped keep up the humidity. Everyone came on with very negative posts and were very hurtful and critical, telling me I had no right to give new owners this information as no tortoise or box turtle should be kept in glass vivariums. Needless to say, I was mortified, embarrassed and hurt reading all the hurtful comments. My husband saw how upset I was, and told me to shut off the computer, and after I did, he said that now no one on that forum exists anymore. And he was right. (I rarely give advice now, and if I do I always say......it's just how I do things.)

I have never understood myself the strong dislike of a visible wall enclosure, glass, plexi, whatever. Maybe has something to do with size of the tank? I've seen the argument that some torts will try to get through the glass, but that sorta dies off as a point of view, when I hear about sulcata just ramming through sheet rock walls. And what of all the fish in fish taks that swim endlessly against the glass? I think the tank thing is about size, in rational thinking land, not a wall that can be seen through.

I think the whole aquarium debate began with an insular tortoise expert, some many years ago. If you know who I mean, great, if not don't worry about it, visible wall enclosures are OK, if the foot print is big enough, and it's set up for the animal, the animal is very unlikely to spend the day seeking to breach that magical barrier of glass.

Will

PS: if could turn this thread off I would, it has served all possible useful utility. But that again is up the the owner overlord Josh, and the Mods to run with what they found in the thread, or do nothing. You all can turn it off by stop using it, and it will drop in use, and off the radar.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi myflutterby, don't feel intimated at what some say here because at one point in their lives, they were newbies at this. Beside the general advice on health, which you will learn if you follow this forum, the experience you have with your tort is uniquely yours. Avoid negative comments, and you'll be the better for it. Don't miss the opportunities to post pics of your tort, and the periodic updates that I'd love to see of your tort. Like most families, there's arguments and then we just go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.