sillyness, again and again and again and again and again

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Nixxy said:
......Can't we all just get along?

In all seriousness, this seems like a bit of a petty thing to complain about.

I think the added "silliness" really adds to our community we have here. Sure, we learn more about tortoises together, and share stories, etc. But we also laugh, bond, and get to know one another. This forum has a very homey feel to it, and that's part of the reason I love it so much.

I love that I can go into a thread and have there be both some humor and science in it. It just makes the environment and mood feel great. And also, I think it makes us look very welcoming to new members!

Agreed!!!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
EricIvins said:
Tortus said:
EricIvins said:
The way I see it......There are three types of members in this forum -

1 - The person that owns 1 or 2 Tortoises and comes to this forum as a "Pet" owner who like to talk about "Pet" things

2 - The person who is a serious Tortoise keeper, that has kept or is keeping many species and does it "scientifically"

3 - The self proclaimed expert who owns 1 or 2 Tortoises, but posts regurgitated information on threads they shouldn't be participating in

Number 1 and 2 will never see things on the same level, which inheritantly causes a problem. Number 3 just causes problems either way. The problem with this forum is that there are too many 1 and 3s, and not enough 2s. They were here at one time, but many just don't want to deal with the constant drama and the know it alls anymore........I know I haven't participated like I used to either.......

LOL. Well, there will always be plenty of "1s". But without the "3s" who post regurgitated information, some people simply wouldn't get answers. At least not in a timely fashion.

There are some people who spend copious amounts of time here, and they learn. What's wrong with them "regurgitating" what they've learned to help someone out? Should they depend on one of the "2s" to jump in, whenever that may be?

Face it. 1s and 3s are here in much greater numbers than 2s. And I'm sure the 2s are sick to death of "regurgitating" the same things over and over and over like a machine.

I'd think they'd be relieved as more people pass on what they've taught so they don't have to keep saying it repeatedly for the duration of their stay on this forum.

Honestly, if some of the "2s" are getting butthurt over another member "regurgitating" their information, they need to step down off their pedestals and realize we're all here to help each other out. Passing on false or misconstrued information is another thing. I personally pass on information I've learned first hand that helped my tortoise. What works for me. If someone else wants to pass on the info of more experienced keepers, I see no problem with that.

ANYONE and let me repeat ANYONE can find the information they need here on the forum. A simple search is all it takes.......I would hope that anyone who has dug this far into the Interwebs can perform such a menial task.........

The problem with people regurgitating information is CONTEXT and CULPABILITY. If they are regurgitating that information, obviously they have NEITHER. Just because you read the information does not mean you know how to APPLY it to captive conditions. Context and application takes experience, and no one should be posting if they lack those crudentials. There are also posters who play telephone with that information, furthur complicating care issues............

Disagree. If it weren't for the regurgitated info, as you call it. Most of us wouldn't have gotten any help. BTW, as i'v said before. If you learned it from someone, and you pass the info on, you just regurgitated. Where amd what are the credential
Of an expert? Belonging to a club doesn't make an expert! Hatching a few dozen of clutches a year, doesn't make an expert! Hell, being a vet doesn't make you an expert, unless you a reptile certified vet. Tom, has contributed more to this forum then anyone that would call themselves an expert. Tom himself, has said it many times, he's not an expert and is still learning. You want to talk to the so called experts. Just start a thread. In the first post of the thread, as members to please not as the typical beginner questions. Also ask that they stay on topic. When or if you feel that particular topic should be closed, as for no more post on that topic. Some won't adhere to what your asking, most of us I think will. I am a proud 1 and 3 and have helped a lot of members. Infact I don't believe i'v had a number 2 help me at all!

At least not the kind of 2 you and Will are talking about!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Can't we just drop this discussion? I mean, 11 pages of post, going back and forth, around and around is insanity. Labeling members as a 1,2,3 is just begging for an argument. Frankly, it's insulting and denigrates all members here. The majority here think that no one should be excluded from responding to any thread. Scientific discussions can still take place, and most of us encourage it, but placing requirements or criteria to be able to respond goes against the principles of this forum. Nothing is going to change the core principles that created the need for this type of forum. So, despite individual's objections or support, josh isn't going to jeopardize the future of this site on the wimp of a couple of elite members, period. So, can't we just move on and wait to see how things turn out?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
"It seems to me that "someone" has mixed up a tainted batter and baked a cake, and now that someone is sitting back, watching, as everyone is eating the tainted cake."
I think the forum is fine just the way it is. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have as many members as it has. Why fix it if it isn't broke. If you don't like all the fun posts, don't read them.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Wellington you do a great job trying to help people out so try not to get upset. As far as the number system goes 1,2,3 I learned something along time ago, CONSIDER THE SOURCE.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Can't we just drop this discussion? I mean, 11 pages of post, going back and forth, around and around is insanity. Labeling members as a 1,2,3 is just begging for an argument. Frankly, it's insulting and denigrates all members here. The majority here think that no one should be excluded from responding to any thread. Scientific discussions can still take place, and most of us encourage it, but placing requirements or criteria to be able to respond goes against the principles of this forum. Nothing is going to change the core principles that created the need for this type of forum. So, despite individual's objections or support, josh isn't going to jeopardize the future of this site on the wimp of a couple of elite members, period. So, can't we just move on and wait to see how things turn out?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Eric, I may ask, have you ever told your children to much candy rots their teeth? Oh no! You just likely passed regurgitated information, because that is likely what your parents told you.
Have you done a field research study on every species you have ever given out info on? Well, unless you have, any info you have thus passed is regurgitated. Whether or not you have had a chance to APPLY it is meaningless; it is still regurgitated. There would be no form without "regurgitated" information.

I think everyone is getting confused here. What, exactly, would be wrong with a "serious discussion" forum? No one would need to be excluded. Shoot, all that was asked for was a topic section without the constant tea party and tortoise balloon animals. Is that so hard? Oh, wait, for a taste of your own medicine....Don't read it. Those of you so opposed to if because you feel you would be "excluded", well, then, don't read it. Just as simple as you say. I don't get the problem here. The idea, as I see it, was to have a section of topics to PLEASE EVERYONE. Not just to please you, though there is no reason it should displease you.
It seems it somehow insults everyone, the idea of a topic thats not entirely devoted to THEIR needs. Nobody would be treated unequally...I don't get where on earth that came up. If anyone had something valuable to say, they would be free to say it. What is the reason for opposition? Because other members may be pleased with it, other then yourselves? If you don't like it, don't need to read it. "Its that simple" in your own words.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
RedfootsRule said:
The idea, as I see it, was to have a section of topics to PLEASE EVERYONE. Not just to please you, though there is no reason it should displease you. It seems it somehow insults everyone, the idea of a topic thats not entirely devoted to THEIR needs...

Please explain how creating a new section is doing anything other than pleasing your, Will's, and the other supporters' needs. You all are currently expressing frustration with topics that aren't devoted to your needs. Why complicate this? The forum meets the needs of MOST of the members, and that's as good as a forum can do.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
Eric, I may ask, have you ever told your children to much candy rots their teeth? Oh no! You just likely passed regurgitated information, because that is likely what your parents told you.
Have you done a field research study on every species you have ever given out info on? Well, unless you have, any info you have thus passed is regurgitated. Whether or not you have had a chance to APPLY it is meaningless; it is still regurgitated. There would be no form without "regurgitated" information.

I think everyone is getting confused here. What, exactly, would be wrong with a "serious discussion" forum? No one would need to be excluded. Shoot, all that was asked for was a topic section without the constant tea party and tortoise balloon animals. Is that so hard? Oh, wait, for a taste of your own medicine....Don't read it. Those of you so opposed to if because you feel you would be "excluded", well, then, don't read it. Just as simple as you say. I don't get the problem here. The idea, as I see it, was to have a section of topics to PLEASE EVERYONE. Not just to please you, though there is no reason it should displease you.
It seems it somehow insults everyone, the idea of a topic thats not entirely devoted to THEIR needs. Nobody would be treated unequally...I don't get where on earth that came up. If anyone had something valuable to say, they would be free to say it. What is the reason for opposition? Because other members may be pleased with it, other then yourselves? If you don't like it, don't need to read it. "Its that simple" in your own words.

I let the Dentist do that for me. That is his job......

I've done Field Research, but not on any Exotic species. Again, the information I post is on CAPTIVE husbandry and how it applies to CAPTIVITY. I fail to understand the relevance between field research and captive situations. Two completely different entities......There may be convergent evolution between the two, but captivity is captivity and nature is nature. A comparison can't be drawn between the two in regards to the application of captive husbandry.......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It bothers me when I see a member answer a question and I know that member doesn't keep the type of tortoise being asked about. In my opinion, I believe that if you are going to answer a question with "regurgitated" information, you should first make a disclaimer.

If no one has answered a question and I can give general info, but not first hand knowledge of the species, I will ALWAYS say, "I don't keep this species of tortoise, but I have read that blah, blah, blah." That way the person who asked the question can take my answer or leave it. Plus, 9 times out of 10, when someone who DOES keep that species of tortoise sees my response, they will come in and help the person who asked the question.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yvonne you have a point, but what if someone knows certain facts about the species from reading? Like maybe average size, temperament, etc.

I have all my pets in my sig, so if I say sulcatas are the third biggest tortoise in the world, people can look down and see I don't own a sulcata. When I see people on the leopard forum making comments, I usually look at the sig to see if they own one, if they have pets listed. Many people making comments don't own leopards, but if they've been here for a while with hundreds or thousands of posts and actively read the forum, I don't dismiss their comments.

I agree with sibi that segregating ourselves into certain categories and dictating who can say what is only going to cause hard feelings and less members.

Since Eric mentioned #3s as "self proclaimed experts", what makes someone a genuine "expert" who we should listen to? There are still breeders who breed and raise dry, pyramided tortoises and have done so for decades. Is that person "expert" enough to take advice from? I'm sure there are casual tortoise owners who've spent enough time here to teach them a thing or two.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
cristal redfoot said:
sibi said:

I agree, it would be nice if some people would get past their egos.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yvonne, like Jason, I too feel that I don't have to own a particular species of animal to know a lot about them. For instance, I don't own a cat, but I know that if you want to avoid urinary problems, you should buy foods with the least amount of ash. I picked this scenario because it's something that most cat owner don't know; yet, I knew that. If I give "regurgitated" information (which, btw, i find offensive because I like to think of it as "learned"), who's to say that I don't have something constructive to contribute? Some information is so easy to absorb, who's to say that it isn't worth consideration. I'm rather surprised that you felt like this because many times, based on actual experience or similar experience or even on common knowledge, i have posted remarks or advice to others. So, what you're saying is that it bothers you that i could offer advice about animals i don't own. Really?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida

Please explain how creating a new section is doing anything other than pleasing your, Will's, and the other supporters' needs. You all are currently expressing frustration with topics that aren't devoted to your needs. Why complicate this? The forum meets the needs of MOST of the members, and that's as good as a forum can do.
[/quote]

Thank you, Mr. Jorgenson, you have hit the nail right on the head. A new topics section of this nature would please Will and all other supporters; one of those supporters being myself. Now, what I can't understand, is....how would that be a bad thing? No, the forum will nEVER please everyone. BUT, it can come close. Creating an "Advanced discussion" topics section would be one step closer. Tell me, please, how would that EVER be a bad thing? Is it bad just because it isn't tailored towards you, and is tailored towards meeting the desire of others? In the words of many here, if you don't like it, just ignore it. Pretend it doesn't even exist.

As Will explained, a section like this could be very helpful. Perhaps it would attract a new set of members, with a whole knew set of experience...How would this be a bad thing?

emysemys said:
It bothers me when I see a member answer a question and I know that member doesn't keep the type of tortoise being asked about. In my opinion, I believe that if you are going to answer a question with "regurgitated" information, you should first make a disclaimer.

If no one has answered a question and I can give general info, but not first hand knowledge of the species, I will ALWAYS say, "I don't keep this species of tortoise, but I have read that blah, blah, blah." That way the person who asked the question can take my answer or leave it. Plus, 9 times out of 10, when someone who DOES keep that species of tortoise sees my response, they will come in and help the person who asked the question.

I agree. You should not usually answer questions about a species unless you keep said species. However, this is a completely different thing then "regurgitated" information. Yvonne, I hope you know that likely, almost everything you say is regurgitated. I'm quite sure you read it in a book, on the internet, heard it in a speech, or some other form. YOU did not research it yourself, or at least most of it. In the (12?) years I've kept tortoises....I will humbly say, MOST of what I know, I learned elsewhere. Now, I have learned a lot myself, but this is mostly about their behavior....Most husbandry aspects were learned elsewhere. It is the same case with everyone, whether they would like to deny it or accept it.

I just don't understand where on earth the opposition for a new topics section of this nature is coming from. The opposers seem to want to say every other word "You don't like the silliness, don't read it and move on." I question, why it is, that they are unable to follow their own advice? If a topics section as suggested is made, IF you don't like it, then follow your own advice and completely ignore it. Never visit it. However, I am quite confident you would find yourself visiting it often, as I feel there would be a strong flow of new information that everyone would love to learn....
There has not been one justifiable reason for the opposition of the topic section suggested, other then then objection to excluding certain members. Yes, it is a bad idea to have only certain members invited and others excluded. But, if everyone is allowed to post here....Then there is absolutely no way you can reason that it would be a bad thing, other then complaining that its not just for you....

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I find the idea of needing to own something in order to know things about it ridiculous. That's like saying only a parent can be a child psychologist or a pediatrician.

And really, if this section is open to anyone, how would it be any different than posting a "serious" discussion in say, tortoise health? Breeding? You'll just be making more work for the moderators if only super-serious, expert posts are to be made in this section.

I doubt it's going to happen. It sounds too exclusive and unnecessary. But what someone could do is gather a list of people who want such a section and start a free message board. Be your own admin. Just a place to go in order to assure no silliness is allowed. I've run free boards in the past and you can set one up in a few minutes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, but you know absolutely nothing about me and what I know about turtles and tortoises. I have had turtles and tortoise for about 40 years. I must admit that during the first 30 or so years I was keeping my tortoises the way I was taught, however I can honestly say that there is nothing old school on my property anymore. Everything I do for my tortoises I do from first hand experience. You can go Wa-a-a-a-y back and double check that I am the first one to offer soaking sick tortoises in baby food. I learned this all by myself. No one told me about it and I didn't read it. When I first suggested it I was almost laughed off the YAHOO listserv that I belonged to. There are many more instances, however at 74 years of age I can't remember most of them. And besides, didn't you understand that I ALWAYS preface a post that I know nothing about the species with, "I don't keep this species, but I've read..."?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
emysemys said:
Sorry, but you know absolutely nothing about me and what I know about turtles and tortoises. I have had turtles and tortoise for about 40 years. I must admit that during the first 30 or so years I was keeping my tortoises the way I was taught, however I can honestly say that there is nothing old school on my property anymore. Everything I do for my tortoises I do from first hand experience. You can go Wa-a-a-a-y back and double check that I am the first one to offer soaking sick tortoises in baby food. I learned this all by myself. No one told me about it and I didn't read it. When I first suggested it I was almost laughed off the YAHOO listserv that I belonged to. There are many more instances, however at 74 years of age I can't remember most of them. And besides, didn't you understand that I ALWAYS preface a post that I know nothing about the species with, "I don't keep this species, but I've read..."?

Okay, Yvonne, so you are, in essence, saying that every food item you offer to your tortoise, you learned from first-hand experience all the benefits it offered, or if it was even safe to feed? Completely absurd. Now, you have used this in first-hand experience, as have we all...But you did not LEARN it in first hand experience. Thus, most things you say, was once read, learned, somewhere, and makes it regurgitated; the fact that you had applied it in your care is regardless. Also, you just admitted that the first 30 years you did what you were taught...Well, you are one of the few here that has kept tortoises for 40 years. The rest of us are still in our first 30 years....So I will proudly keep passing on what you refer to as "regurgitated". The only difference between you, me, and Eric, is that I am humble enough to admit it, not try to deny it out of pride....

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RedfootsRule said:
emysemys said:

Okay, Yvonne, so you are, in essence, saying that every food item you offer to your tortoise, you learned from first-hand experience all the benefits it offered, or if it was even safe to feed? Completely absurd. Now, you have used this in first-hand experience, as have we all...But you did not LEARN it in first hand experience. Thus, most things you say, was once read, learned, somewhere, and makes it regurgitated; the fact that you had applied it in your care is regardless. Also, you just admitted that the first 30 years you did what you were taught...Well, you are one of the few here that has kept tortoises for 40 years. The rest of us are still in our first 30 years....So I will proudly keep passing on what you refer to as "regurgitated". The only difference between you, me, and Eric, is that I am humble enough to admit it, not try to deny it out of pride....

So the fact that Yvonne was and is running a turtle and tortoise rescue and has rehabbed countless species of turtles and tortoises with her own hands and then has taken that expertise and used it on this forum is regurgitating information?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
This thread is a real cluster of elitism mixed with anti-intellectualism.

Regurgitation is being confused with digestion by some and that confusion is being parroted in regurgitated fashion. If you understand the information fully, you have digested it. If you repeat it after having fully understood it, it is not regurgitation. If you repeat it without fully understanding the information, you are regurgitating it. The difference is defined by the depth of your understanding. It seems many do not understand even that difference.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
IMO - Its not regurgitated information if someone took the information, carefully considered the pros and cons, applied it to their own situation, had positive results, and then recommended it to others. That is information that has been tested and withstood scrutiny.

Regurgitated information is when you hear someone say something like "carrots are bad for tortoises" and then, without ever feeding your tortoise carrots and without doing any further research or consulting any other sources, you re-post the message "carrots are bad for tortoises."

Regurgitated information happens in forum settings. Its almost impossible to avoid. So, as a reader, I ask myself "where did this person obtain this information or opinion?" "What is this advice based on?" "Does it make sense?" These are questions that all tort owners need to ask themselves when reading advice given on a public forum (or anywhere). Never blindly accept advice given by strangers.

Baoh said:
This thread is a real cluster of elitism mixed with anti-intellectualism.

Regurgitation is being confused with digestion by some and that confusion is being parroted in regurgitated fashion. If you understand the information fully, you have digested it. If you repeat it after having fully understood it, it is not regurgitation. If you repeat it without fully understanding the information, you are regurgitating it. The difference is defined by the depth of your understanding. It seems many do not understand even that difference.

You beat me to it, Boah. Well said. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.