SISTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The little Testudo hermanni hermanni that hatched a few days ago now has sisters. :D
The other 2 eggs hatched over the course of the weekend, one is almost identical to the first with its rich chocolate color, the other is lighter like the hatchlings I hatched back in June. 8) There's still 2 more fertile eggs incubating and I have another female digging in the nest box right now :D :shock:

Here they are:
sister1.jpg

sister2.jpg

sister3.jpg

sister4.jpg

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
At least one of these pics should be on the next t-shirt!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Congrats again Chris, those mocha colored girls are fantastic.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Oh but I do envy you..... they're beautiful.

PS - Any particular reason for having them hatch as females?
PS2 - At what temps do they hatch male and at what temps do they hatch female?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Just Beautiful Chris!!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do you know who laid these eggs? What color was she? Just wondering if a certain pair of yours was making the mocha coloring or if it was just luck of the draw. Can you tell I know nothing about this kind of tort?:D:D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thank you for sharing your pics. They are just gorgouse babies, and the colors- wow! :D Someday I hope to see eggs of my own hatch.
Again congrats.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I incubated them for female because I eventually want to add more females to my breeding group. I also have a few I hatched back in June that I incubated for male.

Males hatch out at a lower temperature, females at a higher temperature. These new babies were incubated at a range from 88 to 91 degrees. All three have prefect scutes too.

The mother is a mainly black in coloration with a bright golden background that only shows a little bit on the outer edge of the carapacial scutes. The male is much more golden in color.

It does not seem to matter what the color of the parents are. This male and female have pruduced black, chocolate and bright yellow babies. Another very black female has produced very light colored babies and the other females have produced a mix as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.