Size of enclosure for Russian

dreamspirit12302

I don't have a Russian yet but planning on getting one... I was wondering if this size terrarium would be big enough for one Russian or no? 36"L x 18"W x 16"H

Thanks

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I would go larger. Have you looked at the Zoo Med tortoise houses? You can connect two to get 6 by 2 feet or purchase a large bookshelf that is the same size.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would go as large as your space allows. For a baby tortoise the covered humid chamber has been advised by several experienced forum members.

For adult tortoises, an open table design gives the space needed more easily. Think up as well as long and wide; a secont story will provide good exercise for your tort and give additional space within the same floor space.

dreamspirit12302

Hmm decisions... I kinda wanted something see through so I can watch him/her. I planned on putting the enclosure in my living room..

How about a 4x2 size cage?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
4'x2' is too small. You can buy a used bookshelf that has dimensions described above for pretty cheap.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
In my personal experience, yes. They are a wandering species, so the biggest you can go, the better.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I agree that 4' by 2' is too small. Also, something "see through" might not be the best idea. I tried it with my Russian and it drove him nuts. He was miserable - he never stopped trying to get through the glass.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
gieseygirly said:
I agree that 4' by 2' is too small. Also, something "see through" might not be the best idea. I tried it with my Russian and it drove him nuts. He was miserable - he never stopped trying to get through the glass.

My Russian appears pretty miserable in her 4'x2'.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
There will be tortoise who are OK in 4'x2' enclosures. (And I would agree most Russians will claw at the side of a glass enclosure).
Because remember, in the wild they wander over acres. They have a very strong instinct to travel, looking for food, etc.
You really can't make an enclosure large enough for most Russian tortoises.

Ultimately, they are much, much happier in an outside enclosure. They can overwinter in an inside enclosure, but you will see them really blossom outside.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I put my baby RTs in2x4 ft enclosure , my adults are in a 6x8 ft enclosure but they are outside year around

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree that 2x4' is much too small for an adult russian. It would be fine for a hatchling though. I recommend 4x8' for an indoor russian. Larger outdoor enclosures suit them best when the climate and weather allows for it.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
The 36" x 18" size you are suggesting is a 40-gal breeder tank, which is way too small. It wouldn't allow for the micro climates a tortoise requires (basking spot of 95, cool side of room temp), and by the time there is a hide, a water dish, and a feeding area, that doesn't really leave any space to walk and explore.

If you want to have something that is 'pretty' and has a viewing window, why not ask a local cabinet maker to give you a quote for building one? We had a friend build us this one:
Tort Fort front view.JPG
He built it from scratch out of oak and oak ply. He milled the trim himself, and it's gorgeous. It was pricey though. It has a foot print of 3ft x 6ft.

And later on, I built this one myself:
Boo's new table.JPG
I just used standard pine boards from the Home Depot, and stained it and painted the little design. I used glass in the front. I lined the bottom with vinyl flooring. The grand total cost for materials was under $40, and I used my neighbor's saws. It is 2ft x 4ft, and is only really ok for a winter enclosure of my smallest female.

Alternatively, you could find a nice oak (or oak ply or whatever is your wood of choice) book shelf on Craigslist, flip it on its back, and set it up at a height where you can look down on it and enjoy watching your tortoise. You can reinforce the back with plywood, and line it with vinyl flooring. You can even use the shelves you take out to make 'legs' on either end, reinforced with L-brackets for stability. I've done this, too, and it looks nice. :)

I have never built an enclosure and thought "Darn, I should have made that smaller" - exactly the opposite. When our 3ft x 6ft enclosure was delivered, one of my first thoughts was: "Darn, we could have made that twice the size!" ...and when I built our 5ft x 30ft outdoor tortoise garden, I was thinking about how I could expand it within hours of completing it. *sigh*
RTs have a way about them where they will use every square inch you offer them. Timmy, who is at the top of the pecking order in my little group, will patrol the entire outdoor area all day long. She must walk miles every day, and I think she would still walk the rounds if I offered her 10x the space the tortoises currently have. When the kids are grown up, I will expand the tortoise area(s) even more... for now I'll just have to get creative with the space I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

tguillen

I have 2 Russians 4 years old and their enclosure grows and grows. I have one for outdoor patio. I live in a townhouse in Southern California. (Tight space).
I have a kiddy pool they get to play in and dig. Inside they live in a large wooden box with a glass roof. This way the sun shines in and they have their basking light.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393209940.225074.jpg
Here it is

Last edited by a moderator: