Size of orchid bark

Alisha Hawkins

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi guys :)
I accidentally bought coarse orchid bark for my tort today who was in desperate need of a clean out and substrate change. I always mix my orchid bark in with some coco coir. I was wondering if this bark is too coarse for him, he seems to be walking on it as normal but ive not seen him burrow yet (only been in for about an hour).
Will it be okay for me to continue using the coarse stuff til my bag runs out? Or should i go and buy the fine bark for his next change?

Thanks
Alisha20190417_181202.jpeg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi guys :)
I accidentally bought coarse orchid bark for my tort today who was in desperate need of a clean out and substrate change. I always mix my orchid bark in with some coco coir. I was wondering if this bark is too coarse for him, he seems to be walking on it as normal but ive not seen him burrow yet (only been in for about an hour).
Will it be okay for me to continue using the coarse stuff til my bag runs out? Or should i go and buy the fine bark for his next change?

Thanks
AlishaView attachment 270097
You should be ok, I also use fine orchid bark mixed with coco coir!

If he is a tort that has a specific sleeping spot then you could make a deeper layer of coco coir so he can snuggle down into it.

Alisha Hawkins

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
You should be ok, I also use fine orchid bark mixed with coco coir!

If he is a tort that has a specific sleeping spot then you could make a deeper layer of coco coir so he can snuggle down into it.
Nice, he does usually sleep down the far end of his humid hide, so ill pop more coco coir in that end, thankyou [emoji1]