Size of Outdoor Heated House

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia
I have 4 redfoot tortoises. They are still young but I was wondering what size outdoor heated house I would need to accommodate all 4 of them when they are all full grown. I live in South Georgia. We don't have a lot of cold nights but we have some so I want to be prepared.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have three adult tortoises in this one, and on real cold days they have to stay in there. They've been housed this way for two winters now, and have suffered no ill effects. The saving grace is on sunny days I allow them out to relieve the boredom:

night house a.jpg night house b.jpg night house c.jpg

I think it's about 8'x2'. I have a fluorescent UVB light mounted at the far left end and I only turn it on when they have to stay inside.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Entrance is from inside the pen via a rubber flap to keep out drafts.
I've used 60 and 75 watt black incandescent bulbs.
Now there are 75 watt CHE in there on timers without thermostats.
I'll be using those this winter.

Attachments

• 20170201_153732.jpg
    20170201_153732.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 20170201_153702.jpg
    20170201_153702.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 22

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 4 redfoot tortoises. They are still young but I was wondering what size outdoor heated house I would need to accommodate all 4 of them when they are all full grown. I live in South Georgia. We don't have a lot of cold nights but we have some so I want to be prepared.

A 4x4' could certainly contain them all, but if they will be cooped up in there for days at a time in winter, a 4x8, or a large heated shed would be more practical.