size questions about russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas Nevada
what is the size for a female russian tortoise to be considered as an adult?

what is a size for a juvenile russian tortoise like 3"?

what is the size and how do you know if a female russian tortoise is sexually mature and ready to have eggs? my female is only 5" by the way

THANKS!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't quite understand all of your questions but I will answer the ones I do. Females usually start laying at around 6 inches min. usually closer to 8 is better. Rusians by and large are usually considered an adult at around 4 inches or so. Males start showing at 4 and you can usually sex them reliably at 4.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
dmmj said:
I don't quite understand all of your questions but I will answer the ones I do. Females usually start laying at around 6 inches min. usually closer to 8 is better. Rusians by and large are usually considered an adult at around 4 inches or so. Males start showing at 4 and you can usually sex them reliably at 4.
the 1st and 3rd question is the one you answer. hehehhe the 2nd question i don't understand it either, i dont know why i typed it, the 2nd question means, what is the average size of a female russian tortoise as a juvenile and its average size as an adult:) so you mean my 5 inches female russian is considered as an adult because she is bigger than 4 inches and will lay eggs when she is 6 inches (maybe next year).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In this case size does not always matter, you can have a russian pair, male and female and still not get any eggs, breeding IMHO is more of an art in most cases. There is no such thong as a average size female juvenile, they are the size they are. Females usually range from 8 to 10 inches on average as adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.