Sizes (Greeks, Hermann's, Russians)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: Sizes

Sorry but no tortoise sould live only inside . But if you can provide him with some outdoor basking time . Any of the smaller tortoise and box turtles should be happy . I'd say a box turtle, russian tortoise ,or Hermans tortoises will work out . But they all need the good ole sun shine .

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
RE: Sizes

I don't mean to sound rude, but you have had this question and others very similar to this answered several times, in each of your threads. You have to be willing to do your own research before asking a load of questions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I agree with Mike. I don't think any tortoise should be indoors year round. There are many reptile pets that will do fine that way, tortoises are just not one of them in my opinion. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying I wouldn't do it.

How about blue tongue skinks, or leopard geckos or any number of snake species?

capedthespian

Sizes

tffnytorts said:
Around 5-6.5 inches. And i assume you're housing them separately?

I only have had a few for size comparison, but I currently have a male Russian that's eight inches and still growing.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Sizes

hunterk997 said:
I don't mean to sound rude, but you have had this question and others very similar to this answered several times, in each of your threads. You have to be willing to do your own research before asking a load of questions.

I agree

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Sizes

Would your tortoise be able to be outside at all ? Do you have a yard you could build an outdoor enclosure when the weather is safe for the tortoise to be outside?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Sizes

colejohnson73 said:
Sorry and yes.

There is no need to be sorry that I know of. If you are saying yes to having a place for an outdoor inclosure when weather permits than many people on this forum have indoor enclosures for when weather is not ideal. Take a look at the enclosure section for ideals for indoor and outdoor enclosures. Sometimes people don't have yards they may live in apartments which make it hard to keep tortoises unless you have a large open balcony to set up an outdoor enclosure. Water turtles are a great option one that does not need a large tank may be a good choice in that situation. They are fun too! What part of the country do you live in? Some tortoises do better in humid while others dry for example so that may help in choosing a tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Cole:

We've been very patient with you, but its starting to be a bit redundant. You now have 7 threads with the subject line, "Sizes."

We all applaud the fact that you want to learn before you make the leap into buying a tortoise, but you are asking to be spoon fed. You must bear some of the responsibility for gaining your knowledge. Do some research. We have talked about all the subjects you're asking about, over and over. It won't be hard for you to read past threads and be able to come to a decision that fits your household.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

That isn't the correct mentality.
You want the one that you can best care for, not the most convenience to come by.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

I keep repeating myself!
Oh my goodness! You don't understand. There are HUNDREDS of kinds of tortoise. Its not possible for someone to list them all!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Sizes

colejohnson73, LISTEN to tffnytorts!!! That is VERY GOOD, VERY BASIC advice!!!!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland

Help! I'm drowning in "size" threads.. (Sorry mods. Don't get mad at me.. I know this isn't a helpful post but I couldn't help it x_X)

swatsx

5 Year Member
Sizes

Maybe it's easier for cole to care for a smaller tort not us all can house a big sulcata maybe a smaller russian is easier and easy to get well I'd love to get a Egyptian but how easy are they to find and get? Not as easy as a red foot help cole out don't knock on him/her because the question wasn't asked how you wanted it to be give advice don't detour them from coming here with the not needed comments... Give thanks cole is here to ask question instead of buying a tort and raising it wrong or dropping it off to some shelter

swatsx

5 Year Member
Sizes

Ok cole I just stood up for you on one of your many many other posts please do some research google can help you go in the right direction then come ask questions you can't find the answers to not basic questions 100 times

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Sizes

swatsx said:
Maybe it's easier for cole to care for a smaller tort not us all can house a big sulcata maybe a smaller russian is easier and easy to get well I'd love to get a Egyptian but how easy are they to find and get? Not as easy as a red foot help cole out don't knock on him/her because the question wasn't asked how you wanted it to be give advice don't detour them from coming here with the not needed comments... Give thanks cole is here to ask question instead of buying a tort and raising it wrong or dropping it off to some shelter

The "not needed comments" are somewhat needed. He has been told in a polite manner several times where he can have his questions answered. He was given links. If he chooses not to try researching on his own, why should everyone have to repeat the care advice? I agree though. In his situation, it appears a Russian or hermann's or other testudo fit his specifications. But others have a point. You shouldn't get the "smallest and easiest tort."

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

I totally understand that. But what I'm saying is to for him (leap of faith here) to take time and READ the threads that I take MY time to show him.