Skin around baby’s mouth

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me if this is any cause for concern. My tortoises’s mouth area seems to have this crusty skin. My baby’s face always sheds from time to time but I’m not sure if this is normal or mouth rot.

He doesn’t show any signs of sickness. He eats like he’s 500 pounds, gets soaks every day, poops every day, and his temperatures and humidity levels are where they are supposed to be.

If anyone can help, thank you. I have pet insurance so if I need to make a vet trip I will.

C18F5093-188D-494E-8E4B-A39FCE1C2167.jpeg

Kasia

Poland
It’s a normal shedding. Soak him more often and you can rub some organic coconut oil to moisture the area up. Nothing to worrie about;)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The coconut oil isn’t absolutely necessary if you can’t find it, but if you do, make sure that it’s virgin and cold pressed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To me it looks like some stuck on food or such. Have you tried to scrape it with your fingernail?

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
To me it looks like some stuck on food or such. Have you tried to scrape it with your fingernail?

It may be a mix of both, but it looks like that on the other side of his mouth too, only less severe. I never tried to scrape it off cause I don’t wanna scare the little guy. I only handle him when I have to soak him, so he might get a little anxious if intrubtobremove whatever it is

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
As long as the humidity is correct, it should come off on its own. But to help it further, daily soaks should get it off quicker :)

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Thanks everyone. Turned out to be just skin, and it eventually peeled off. It happened before but the skin was larger than normal so I wasn’t sure if it was something else. :D