Skin coming off on back legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chill8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Texas
Short story is both torts (sulcatas) have skin coming off on their back legs and where its coming off its a little raw but no blood. I cannot think of anything in the enclosure that would cut there legs. They were attcked a few weeks ago by fire ants, could this be sores shedding from the ant bites ? Any other theories like a disease or something ?
Pic attached

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    250.4 KB · Views: 69

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It could be dead skin where the bites happened at but just to hard to know, I would just keep in clean to ensure they don't get infected.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Photos would be helpful. Any other symptoms? Sunburn-like appearance? Raw areas elsewhere? Eyes/nose/mouth OK? Behaviors?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If they haven't had a vitamin A,D,E injection lately, then I'd have to assume that the ant bites caused it. Just keep it clean. Some antibiotic ointment would do the trick.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I adopted two RFs a few months ago...they use to be housed together and one was victim to bullying...so I set them each up in their own enclosure relatively quickly (I left them together for a couple of days or so to observe as prior caregiver said they have always been together)...so after observing them I set them up individually ;) however the reason that was the deciding factor was I witnessed the one bite the other firmly on the foot and hang on a moment...until I touched em and he quickly let go...but about a week and half later the one that had been bitten had her front entire foot skin and a couple nails peel right off...then the other foot had the same thing but a little more to the side...so after the piece of skin fell off each I went and picked up the bigger one and held it up near his mouth and it just about matched up to him if he were to have bitten...so I would think that was damaged then dead skin peeling off of your attacked torts as well....I did keep my little RF soaked and cleaned and watched her and although she has little white skin spots where her other skin peeled...those spots are now slowly turning similar to the rest of her legs.....and her two little nails are coming back in ....so as suggested I would just be sure to keep your tort clean and keep an eye on those spots....IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.