Skin on top of sulcatas’ eyes too white?

AshleyFrench

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
Okay, maybe I’m just fretting too much, but does the skin above Hercules eyes look way too light? It’s off and on. Most of the time it looks that way after he gets a soaking, but other times, it just appears. It just seems to change from light to dark and back again, over and over.

Attachments

• AF4BBC3C-1EC4-4CE2-992B-8CCDD4D807E1.jpeg
    AF4BBC3C-1EC4-4CE2-992B-8CCDD4D807E1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That sometimes means the tortoise is being kept too dry.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I soaked our Sully every day for about 30 mins for 2.5 years, until it no longer was easily soaked in our large kitchen sink. Started out in Tupperware containers, and as Sully grew, so did the size of the container.

From @Tom ’s Sully care info -

Soaking:
I recommend hatchlings be soaked in 85-95 degree water for 20-30 minutes once a day. I use a tall sided opaque tub and keep the water depth about a third of the way up the body. If you have a humid enclosure with a humid hide and a water bowl, it is totally fine to skip a day here and there. Soaking only once a week and using a dry enclosure is not enough in my opinion, and I would not buy a hatchling that had been started that way. Once the tortoise gets to about 4" I relax a bit on the soaking routine and gradually taper it down as they gain size. How often I soak older tortoises depends on a lot of factors, the current weather and season being two big ones. I soak more often when its hot and dry. If you live in a warm, humid, rainy climate, and your tortoise is exposed to these conditions, soaking less often is probably fine, but it still wont hurt anything to do it.