Skin peeling in my soft shell

Aira

Location (City and/or State)
India
I was out of station for like 11-12 days so I left my soft shell on one of my neighbor's house. When my sister went to pick him back she said his water was too dirty and looked as it wasn't changed for days.
My soft shell has something which looks like peeling shell layer its not like normal shell shred it's just concerning. Its been 2 3 days since we brought him back and he haven't excreted too. Please help
I was already concerned about the wrinkles on his shell because when the previous owner left him here he was having a fine shell, plain devoid of any wrinkles.

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_121147.jpg
    IMG_20220523_121147.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220523_121200.jpg
    IMG_20220523_121200.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220523_121153.jpg
    IMG_20220523_121153.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 12

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think he needs to see a good reptile vet.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
The soft shell looks like its in horrible condition. If you can't house it the right way please give it to someone who can.

Guts

Tennessee
Step one is a good vet visit because that is not normal shedding, and the gooey looking tissue around it makes me suspect an infection. Make sure it is one well versed in chelonians and if they suggest a vitamin shot as the only method of “treatment” just find a new vet.

Until then keep his water immaculately clean.

What is his normal housing like? These guys can be a little picker then non softies.

Aira

India
Step one is a good vet visit because that is not normal shedding, and the gooey looking tissue around it makes me suspect an infection. Make sure it is one well versed in chelonians and if they suggest a vitamin shot as the only method of “treatment” just find a new vet.

What is his normal housing like? These guys can be a little picker then non softiewe will

What is his normal housing like? These guys can be a little picker then non softies.
We will go to.a vet today only, I hope she's good. Because its india and the most common pets include dogs, cat. I can try my best but I am not sure of anything. Previously we kept him in a tub but now we bought an aquarium. It has like 15 to 20 l water capacity with few fishes and aquarium stuffs in it. But the main thing is we were out of station and left him somewhere and god knows how they kept him.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope this can be fixed. Keep us informed, please.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
We will go to.a vet today only, I hope she's good. Because its india and the most common pets include dogs, cat. I can try my best but I am not sure of anything. Previously we kept him in a tub but now we bought an aquarium. It has like 15 to 20 l water capacity with few fishes and aquarium stuffs in it. But the main thing is we were out of station and left him somewhere and god knows how they kept him.
Make sure you give it to reliable educated caregivers if they are going to care for your animal. You need to make sure the care sheet matches your care for the animal to prevent sickness and death. I don't know too much about these turtles, not sure if they need special lighting but definitely needs to be in an aquarium with the appropriate foliage. make sure you follow correct diet, care I am attaching some experts here who may be better at getting you to the right place!

@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Make sure you give it to reliable educated caregivers if they are going to care for your animal. You need to make sure the care sheet matches your care for the animal to prevent sickness and death. I don't know too much about these turtles, not sure if they need special lighting but definitely needs to be in an aquarium with the appropriate foliage. make sure you follow correct diet, care I am attaching some experts here who may be better at getting you to the right place!

@Tom
Thank you for the vote of confidence @TaylorTortoise , but I'm no turtle expert. I know some basics and have housed a few, but I defer to people who have MUCH more experience with them than I do.

@Yvonne G has soft shells and @Markw84 is very experienced with all types of turtles.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That looks like an injury to me. The turtle was trying to get under something with a sharp edge, or dove into the water and hit something with a sharp edge. It should heal if kept very clean. Watch for any signs of infection - swelling or redness.

The aquarium you mention seems way too small for a flapshell turtle. They need good swimming space and the more water - the longer it will stay clean. With proper filtration, a large amount of water will also be more stable in keeping clean. A turtle like that requires a 500 liter tank at least.