Skin peeling off

Ali corn

My tort is very poorly, her skin is all peeling off she has none left on one of her back legs and it's coming off her other legs and her face. She is on antibiotics as has a respiatory disease aswell the vet thinks. We are waiting for test results to come back anyone else expirenced anything like this.s

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My tort is very poorly, her skin is all peeling off she has none left on one of her back legs and it's coming off her other legs and her face. She is on antibiotics as has a respiatory disease aswell the vet thinks. We are waiting for test results to come back anyone else expirenced anything like this.s
Hi and welcome.
So sorry to hear this.
Can you tell us what sort of tort she is, her age and your location please?
If you can post some pics, other members can see if they recognise the symptoms
If you can post pics of her enclosure as well they may be able to recommend things you can do to aid her recovery.
I do hope she makes a full recovery.

Ali corn

Thanks, she is a horse field tortoise about 4 years old we think, we have had her about 2 years. I live in Devon. Will try and post some pics tomorow.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There is a good caresheet for Russians (Horsefields) under species specific so have a look at that to check you have correct temps humidity levels, substrate and diet etc. If she has a RI you will need to make sure she is warm enough and maybe even raise the temps a little. Do you soak her in warm shallow water (just slightly warmer than hand temp)?
The Beginners Mistakes thread is also good for finding out do's and don'ts (link below) and the Enclosures thread has lots of good ideas. You may find something there that will help you find a reason for this. Some torts do shed skin but I can't remember if Russians do and this sounds quite extreme, but your pics will help.
Also if you haven't already tried it, use the search facility to see if there are any past posts about similar problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My suspicion is that your vet gave this tortoise an injection of vitamin A. You need to contact the vet and let them know about the vitamin A overdose and the skin peeling off. An infection in that skin would be very dangerous for this tortoise.

Ali corn

thank you, she has her feeding tube out now and is eating quite well. the skin was peeling before she went to the vets and now we have to bathe her twice a day to get it all off. she is still on antibiotics but hopefully is on the mend but still a long way to go