Slate or terra cotta?

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
ok, so i was wondering, right now I feed my babies on a terra cotta saucer for food, but I've noticed some of you feel on a slate slab. I love how it looks and now I was wondering what you guys thought worked better? How do you do mazuri or any 'wet' foods?

Thanks all!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
ok, so i was wondering, right now I feed my babies on a terra cotta saucer for food, but I've noticed some of you feel on a slate slab. I love how it looks and now I was wondering what you guys thought worked better? How do you do mazuri or any 'wet' foods?

Thanks all!
I use slate for grass, weeds , greens ets. And i use a flat plastic cover for his mazuri (easy to clean)

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
No matter what i feed him on he spreads his food throughout thr cage anyway lol
Yea, as mine are getting bigger they are making more messes as they eat lol.

I figured they may like it more too, who knows ?
And a plastic cover like a Tupperware lid? Do you mix any Kapidolo farms stuff or anything like that? I'm wondering if the slate will get too messy mixing it in with slightly damp greens ??

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Yea, as mine are getting bigger they are making more messes as they eat lol.

I figured they may like it more too, who knows ?
And a plastic cover like a Tupperware lid? Do you mix any Kapidolo farms stuff or anything like that? I'm wondering if the slate will get too messy mixing it in with slightly damp greens ??
Not bad with greens.. i just wipe at end of the day with a wet paper towel. And yes like a tupperware lid

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks all!
I use terra cotta saucers for greens, and plastic butter tub lids for Mazuri. I do mix in Will's dried leaves, soaked horse pellets, soaked ZooMed pellets, and more. The saucers do help keep the food where you want it, but as they get larger, the food mess gets larger too.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I use terra cotta saucers for greens, and plastic butter tub lids for Mazuri. I do mix in Will's dried leaves, soaked horse pellets, soaked ZooMed pellets, and more. The saucers do help keep the food where you want it, but as they get larger, the food mess gets larger too.
They aren't large yet, but every bit as messy lol. I gave them lots of dandelion leaves today and they were strewn all over the place. I just thought the slate seems more natural. I have plenty of lids I can use since all the bowls that go with them have magically turned into unmatched socks lol

Zoeclare

Uk
I use a slate cheeseboard for everything. Its quite big and Nitros still fairly small so most of it stays on the slate for now, there's normally just a trail from the slate to his favourite hide! I also have a bit of slate at the entrance of his hide that he has to walk over, the theory is it will keep his nails trimmed I must have read that on this forum somewhere!